hansen644

How to slow down first layer skirt speed?

HI how do I slow down the outline that the printer makes that goes around the print before it starts the first layer?
dkightley

Re: How to slow down first layer skirt speed?

The very first layer that is printed on the bed is controlled by the "First Layer" settings on the Layer tab.

I have, however, spotted some strange behavior with the first layer speed. I'll check through my findings.....and post on a new thread!
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
hansen644

Thanks. just wanting to know how to controll skirt speed only not first layer
sergeysn

I have exactly the same problem.
The skirt is printed way too fast, which makes a big mess and ruins the print. (My printer works fine with Cura)
Is there a solution?
CompoundCarl

If your first layer isn't sticking, all of the solutions are outlined here: https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... to-the-bed

And as stated above, the only way to reduce the speed of the skirt on the first layer would be to adjust the "first layer speed" (also explained in the link)
jmunkki

My problems with the brim/skirt not sticking went away after I started wiping the print bed with a damp cloth that has a hint of "It Stays" on it. "It Stays" is a body adhesive and it's usually used for keeping socks, wigs etc in place on skin. It comes in a roll-on applicator. I had some at home and I decided to use it because it's water-soluble and it stays sticky even after it's dry (unlike glue). So I took the damp cloth and wiped a dried drop of "It Stays" off the side of the bottle and wiped the print bed with that. I still have the original BuildTak on the bed, but I bet this would work on glass as well. The bed just looks completely clean and the prints come out perfect. I think my results are a mix of getting grease (from fingers) off the print bed and adhesion from "It Stays" - not sure which one is contributing more.

Using translucent blue PLA:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 4670753874

Before I discovered this, I was also thinking that it would be nice to be able to slow down the brim as low as the outer perimeter of the bottom layer. I don't think I need that anymore... The problem I was seeing was that the brim was not sticking, so the print head might pick up segments and move them all around the other parts of the bottom layer before things settled down. I'm sure many users would find the requested feature useful.
chekhov

Have the same issue. I tried to trick it with Two separate Processes in one of them printer's Infill supports speed is set to desired speed
cmarko

chekhov wrote:Have the same issue. I tried to trick it with Two separate Processes in one of them printer's Infill supports speed is set to desired speed
Chekhov has a good dialog driven solution. Below is an alternate solution if you prefer to use a single profile for printing.

Solution:
If you are using marlin firmware on your printer there is an M-Code command M220.
1) Open up the g-code file in a text editor (I use notepad++)
2) Using find and replace, search for "; layer 1,"
3) Replace with "M220 S30 ; layer 1," This will slow the printer down to 30% of normal speed.
4) Using find and replace search for "; layer 2,"
5) Replace with "M220 S100 ; layer 2," This sets the printer to 100% speed for the rest of the layers.

Simplify3d allows a layer change script but will not allow unique layer scripts which is why we have to manually insert the M220 command.
To save time I've recorded a macro in Notepad++ that automates this code manipulation. Making the macro is as simple as MACRO>START RECORDING, go through the 5 steps listed above, MACRO>STOP RECORDING, then MACRO>SAVE CURRENT RECORDED MACRO.

I realize this is an old thread but I've been having this problem more recently since building a delta printer. Both my XY printers do not have a problem with printing a brim since they move about 40mm/s. The delta can produce high quality prints comfortably at 80mm/s to 120mm/s. At these speeds, the first layer does not bond well with
brian442

This would do the exact same thing as modifying the "first layer speed" setting. They both change the speed of the entire first layer, so I'm not sure why you wouldn't just use the option already in S3D??
cmarko

brian442 wrote:This would do the exact same thing as modifying the "first layer speed" setting. They both change the speed of the entire first layer, so I'm not sure why you wouldn't just use the option already in S3D??
My default profile has no brim and it uses the speed reduction in the "first layer speed" setting with no problems. When printing a brim the speed reduction from "first layer speed" is not enough. If I reduce the first layer more, the features print too slow.

Most features are scaled twice for the first layer. The first scalar for the outer perimeter is "Outline Underspeed" then it also gets multiplied by the "first layer speed" scalar. The brim speed is based on the "default printing speed" and is not scaled twice for the first layer like the other features. The brim should be based on the outline speed, then the double reduction for the first layer would work properly. Inserting the M220 command and allowing my features to remain at full speed, I get a reduction of the overall machine speed which allows my brims to print properly.

I realize the logic is in error. If the %reduction for the first layer was set to 30% then it should reduce the brim speed to 30% and perform the same as M220 S30. The only difference between the two should be the jog speed between layers. M220 is slower overall, and "first layer speed" should extrude at the same speed but should be faster to move between extrusions "when the extruder stops then jogs to another position to start the next extrusion." When testing the code on my delta using marlin, the two sets of code produce different results and using M220 as a macro insert has proven to be a better solution for my printer.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”