guidozelf

Need to add HBP to Replicator 2

I'm new to S3d and find it not so Simple ;-)
With my Replicator 2 I've been using Makerware, RepG40-R22-Sailfish and Kissslicer with GPX.
I've upgraded my Rep2 with a HBP (bottleworks), ALU arms, ALU X carriage and ALU extruder 3in1 and of course use Sailfish firmware.
In all slicers mentioned above and in Slic3r I was able to find and edit the Machine Definition files to add a HBP and the change the steps/mm for both X and Y to a value that actually gives me dimensional accurate prints.
I've asked S3d in an email before I bought S3d two things: 1) Can you provide me with a trial / evaluation version and 2) Can I add a HBP and different steps/mm in the software (I did explain all of the above).
On my first question I got a NO, the second was positive, no problem. So I bought the software.
Been emailing with Clayton a few times back and forth now, but I still have no clue how to actually change / modify or add a Machine Definition to S3d.
I have no clue what to change under the Temperature tab to get a working HBP and extruder (I soon as I add a "Temperature" and a "Temperature Identifier" and select "This is a heated Platform" the output file does not even heat the extruder anymore....)
I have no clue what (if anything) I need to add to the Start G-code and End G-code to enable a HBP.
Not so simple for me, and I understand now there's no manual for S3d.

Whats may be worse, the first layer of any print I attempt sticks to the bed A OK but is not attached to the rest of the print ?! Never seen that before....Any clues for this one?
It's frustrating to be able to get beautiful prints with free open source packages, then buy some software to improve on the workflow (and may be even on the quality of the prints) and not being able to use it.

I apologize for this lengthy description, but I feel a bit stupid not being able to understand much about how to work with S3d - any help much appreciated. BTW, I'm on a Mac.

Kind Regards, Guido
Enginwiz

Re: Need to add HBP to Replicator 2

Are you discussing the same topic with Wingcommander in the GPX converter google group?

You could try to find out how the Replicator 2X build plate gets handled in Simplify3D Creator.
Somebody mentioned a temperature T2 for a 2X in this forum.

Another idea would be to use temperature override in the sailfish firmware for setting the
temperatures on the bot display and activate heating in the start gcode of the profile.

I had to print a bunch of calibration cubes on my Replicator 2 to get a comparable print
quality to RepG and Makerware. My calibrated settings are available for you on Thingiverse.
guidozelf

Thanks, yes I'm on the GPX forum as well with this ;-)
The temp override only works if there's a temp set in the first place - something I can't get working yet.
Deducing from the Rep2X was what Clayton suggested in an email to me, but I can't see how to do that: the G-Code start doesn't include the temp settings like in Kisslicer. It states the temps are set elsewhere.
Thanks again, Guido
dalew8abz
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio USA (4 mi. from MakerGear HQ!)

Guidozelf,

I'm only guessing --- I have an M2, and its profile already has the heated bed. But it looks to me like this is what it would take to add a heated bed:

Creator Menu: Tools | Options
Nothing here. Just bed dimensions on the Machine tab. Everything else is visualization, colors, shortcut keys, that sort of stuff....

Creator Menu: Tools | Firmware Configuration
On the FFF tab, mine has "Marlin" selected and has a place for the G-code for "Set Bed Temperature" which is set to M140 S$
And it has a place for "Stabilize Bed Temperatre" [sic] which is set to M190 S$
If I select the "Sailfish/MakerBot" Profile, the settings change to M140 T# S$ and M6 T$ respectively. Maybe these are right for your Rep2....
None of the other tabs seem to have heated platform stuff on them.

Now, if I import an STL, arrange, and add a process, then double-click the process to bring up the FFF Settings window, there are some useful items here if you select "Show Advanced":

FFF Settings, Extruder Tab: Note the Add Extruder button at the bottom left. I imagine I'll need this if I get a second extruder on my M2. But I digress.......

FFF Settings, Temperature Tab: In my list on the left, I have "Primary Extruder" and "Heated Bed". I imagine you just have "Primary Extruder". Also, if I click "Primary Extruder", the "Temperature Identifier to the right shows "T0". And if I click "Heated Bed" the Temperature Identifier shows as "T2". So if yours only has the "Primary Extruder" item, click "Add Temperature" at the bottom of the list on the left. In the "Temperature Name" box that comes up, type "Heated Bed" and hit OK. Now you should be able to select a Temperature Identifier for your heated bed (whatever your firmware wants in the selection list, I guess... mine has options for T0, T1, T2 and T3.).

Once you have a Heated Bed item in the Temperature Control list on the left, you should be able to add Layer Setpoints (what temperature, starting at what layer). I run MakerGear black PLA with the Primary Extruder temperature at 195 on layer 1, then set the Temperature to 190 at layer 2 and above, so I have two items in the "Per-Layer Temperature Setpoints" list: 1 195 and 2 190 . Similar when I select "Heated Bed" -- I run 70 on layer 1, and 65 on layer 2 and up, so I have two entries here as well.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying (short version) is: In the FFF Settings dialog, Show the Advanced view, go to the Temperature Tab, and Add a Temperature control. Call it "Heated Bed" and select the correct item in the Temperature Identifier list for your setup. Then your should be able to add layer setpoints as needed for your filament and print environment.

Let me know if this helped or if you already tried this... as I'm just conjecturing based on clicking around....

Hope this helped!!!!
Dale
guidozelf

Thanks for your really extensive answer!
learned a few things, which is always good.
I tried to do exactly what you suggested earlier, but this leads to no heating at all, i.e. no bed and no extruder.
Clayton mailed this to me:
You need to add the HBP into the Creator software settings since it automatically sets the temperatures for you. Open your FFF Settings, click on the Temperature tab. Click "Add Temperature" to add a new temperature control for the HBP. I believe you can use the exact same settings used in the Rep2X profile (Temp identifier T0, This is a heated platform, Add whatever setpoint you want at layer 1).

At that point the software should add the appropriate M140 T0 S* commands into the output G-Code (feel free to verify this). We do not have a Replicator 2 with a HBP to test on, so if there are specific questions about how GPX converts the output G-Code into the x3g format, you might want to contact the GPX author.

Steps per mm can be set in your GPX configuration files. It will then be implemented when the G-Code is converted into x3g format.

I have never seen a second layer that is far separated from the first. My guess would be either that the temperature changed or that the steps per mm was incorrect and caused the second layer to move too far up.
It looks like there's no machine defination as such, but I can't get it to work. Clayton stated earlier that all settings for GPX where done from within S3d and I should not attempt to add a gpx.ini to it. Henry (who developed GPX, said I could use gpx.ini with S3d).

I've got everything (that is Makerware, RepG, Slic3r, Kisslicer and GPX) playing nicely with the Rep2 with HBP, except S3d.
I guess I need another free weekend to get at it - obviously it should be possible.
Just need to invest more time, which I'm short of at the moment.

Thanks again, Guido
sir-mike

Hi guidozelf,

see if you got your Heated Bed settings are right.
Stabilize Temperature at startup should be unchecked.
This is heated Bed should be checked.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”