JD95

Printer stalls, what steps should I take?

I've had maybe 10-20% of my prints stall or pause early on in a print and I don't know what to do. I noticed the "Force Next" button and it's worked fine the two times I've clicked it during a stall.

I have a RAMPS/Taurino Power from RepRap Discount, using Marlin firmware, freshly downloaded last month (I don't see a version # just yet), set to 115200 baud. The mechanical system is Ord.
jimc

Re: Printer stalls, what steps should I take?

are you printing from an sd card or from the computer? sd card is the way to go.
RiC0MD

JD95 wrote:I've had maybe 10-20% of my prints stall or pause early on in a print and I don't know what to do. I noticed the "Force Next" button and it's worked fine the two times I've clicked it during a stall.

I have a RAMPS/Taurino Power from RepRap Discount, using Marlin firmware, freshly downloaded last month (I don't see a version # just yet), set to 115200 baud. The mechanical system is Ord.
This is a known issue with the board and it requires reflashing the bootloader to do it. Contact the reprapdiscount guys and they should be able to either replace it or give you all the needed stuff to fix it.
Aha

This is a known ramps issue. It comes because of lag between feeding commands through USB overwhelming the buffer. Luckily this program has force next - you have to do some screwed up things to sometimes (but rarely) recover in other programs.

Luckily under the last update, simplify3d added an auto force next! Go under firmware config under tools. Then go to communications. Check the last box at the bottom for communication timeout. I just changed it to 5 seconds. This way if the USB is non responsive after 5 seconds it will force it to go to the next command.

Don't waste your time going back to the reprap guys (though it IS their fault). Use this spiffy override that they finally offered (HUGE selling point btw, I hate having to transfer to the SD card and screw up there before going back).

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”