22MIL2DAY

Cleaning the hot tip

Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:31 pm

I had a problem with the extruder not despensing plastic. Ieaw a thread on line where it described the filament curling back up towards the hot tip as an indicator of a dirty tip or partially clogged tip. That is what was happening to my tip. I swapped out the tip with the other (luckily I took the advice and bought an extra) and now all is well except now I have to clean the dirty tip. I see where the hot tip is screwed into the black adapter with what appears to be teflon tape. Should I attempt to unscrew? I do see the capton tape holding the temp measuring device to the hex head. Is there a device to clean the inside without scaring? And how to remove the builup on the outside of the tip? I could use different methods but all will leave scarring unless the tip is a hardened steel.

jimc

Re: CLEANING THE HOT TIP

Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:31 pm

first just wipe the outside of the tip with acetone on a rag. the acetone dissolves any plastic buildup. spend a minute or two doing this. i really dont think the tip has to come off. the inside wont be dirty. its just outside buildup....usually

22MIL2DAY

Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:09 pm

Thanks Jimc, cleaned the tip with acetone and itn works fine. Just finished this 36 hr part with no problems and It just fits into the print bed of the MakerGear M2.
Attachments
cyl-2.jpg
cyl-1.jpg

dalew8abz
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio USA (4 mi. from MakerGear HQ!)

Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:08 am

22MIL,

I'm speechless. (Fortunately I can still type!) WOW. IIRC, you got your M2 fairly recently and have been getting some help here and on the MakerGear Google Group with "learning curve" issues. I believe you are now the master and we are all the apprentices!

Just so you know, I grabbed copies of your photos and included them in a .PPS for Rick to use. If you don't want these pictures passed along like this, please let me and Rick know. But I hope you let Rick and his team use them -- they show very well what the M2 can do, IMHO.

What surface / prep are you printing on?

Nicely done, sensei!
Dale "Grasshopper"....

22MIL2DAY

Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:02 pm

Thankyou very much for the kind words and yes you can use the photos.
I have been using my wifes hairspray it's incredible stuff. Just a light spray to get adhiesion. The best part is I remove the glass printer bed and put it under hot water and it melts the hairspray away. You still have pry the part off but only very light preasure is needed and I use a plastic knife. The layer height on this one is .21 and 17% infill. The prototype will be fine as the outside is perfect but cosmeticly on the inside there is a stitch mark all along the top of the radius (as it was laying length wise). I made changes and am currently printing the right side mate to this model and with updated parameters, layer height = .17 and infill = 30%. This will take longer 40 hrs and use 925 ft of fillament but I think will yeild a better ptototype especially since I will be tapping out the holes for fasteners, 3/4-16, 1/4-20, 5/16-18 & #10-24.
I should have the finished part on Thursday.
P.S. I have the machine runing thru a UPS as the thunder storms here in south Florida have already messed up a few of my 1st prints with power loss.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”