22MIL2DAY

Extruder clogged half way through

Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:51 am

I had a 40 hr print running and half way thru the print a corner lifted and the extruder was rubbing against the raised portion and then got clogged so when I woke up this morning the part was half finished and now what to do?
Is there any way to re start the print at the failure point to finish?
I was thinking I could measure the distance off the glass with calipers or depth mike, then could cut the part at that dimension in my cad system and that would create a new model to now print at the raised dimension hieght. But how to start a new program at this new hieght? Is this possible?

Festus440

Re: PRINT STOPS HALF WAY THRU

Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:40 pm

Sounds pretty tough to do.
If it was me, I would print the top half by itself and glue the two pieces together :ugeek:

dalew8abz
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio USA (4 mi. from MakerGear HQ!)

Re: PRINT STOPS HALF WAY THRU

Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:43 am

22MIL,

S3D Creator has an option on the FFF Settings window Advvanced View (I think it's on the last tab, but I'm not sure --- I'm at work and my printer and printing PC are at home) for what layer to start that process on and what layer to stop it on. I don't know if you could use those and just have one process to run the upper half of the print. You could enter a Z offset for starting, but the problem is that the part will crash into the machine when it homes the axes (if it's still attached to the bed).

If you measure the height printed so far and divide by the layer thickness to get the number of layers, maybe you can apply a process that just prints those layers. You might have to enter a negative Z offset to get back to the bed if it starts printing in mid-air (at the height of the "first" layer).

Sorry, it's difficult to describe what I have in mind. But between the process starting and ending layer settings and the Z offset, I think you can generate G-code to print "the rest of the part" from your existing STL import.. I'd run this through S3D support, though, to get the workflow just right.

Dale

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”