RobH2

"Starting Script" not starting/not getting read

All of a sudden with V3.0.1 my "Starting Script" is not running. I've been using this code for a year and it's always run just fine prior to a print. Now, the printer heats and goes straight to a print and does not do the "auto-leveling."

Here's my code, it's really simple:
G1 Z15
G28 ; home all axes
G29 ;Autolevel

What might cause S3D to ignore it?
Makerfarm Prusa i3 8". JHead .5mm / Magma Head .4mm / Wade's Extruder
JoeJ

Re: "Starting Script" not starting/not getting read

I don't think S3D will ever ignore it. As long as you have that in your starting script, when you click "prepare to print" that should be added to the top of your gcode file. You can verify that by clicking on "save toolpaths to disk" and then opening the .gcode file that it creates in a text editor. You should see your starting script right after all of the commented lines (the ones that begin with ";").

Then when you print the file over USB, you can also go to Tools > Machine Control Panel, and click on the Communication tab. Make sure the verbose checkbox is enabled, an then when you start the print, you can watch the commands that are sent back and forth. You should see something like:

SENT: G1 Z15
RECEIVED: ok
SENT: G28
RECEIVED: ok
... etc

So at that point you also know the commands are getting sent to the printer. Then you just have to figure out why the printer isn't responding how you would expect to those commands (but that's more of a firmware issue)
jprochnow

I'm having a similar problem with my lulzbot mini. I can physically see g29 in the command line as its starting to print but the printer doesn't do it. If I cancel the print and manually type in g29 to the command line the autolevel works.
JoeJ

That sounds like a firmware issue then. Is it possible that the printer is still preheating when you send that command? Maybe it has to finish that first before it can auto-level.

But either way, all the software can do is send the commands to the printer. At that point, it's up to the firmware to handle them.

Edit: it looks like jprochnow's issue was resolved by making sure the G28 was right before the G29 command, since apparently otherwise the firmware has a bug where it won't correctly auto-level even though the G29 command is sent. Read more here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3294#p14351

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”