jimc

Re: Windows 10 USB Connection Question

I did this last night as well but havent had a chance to test. I unchecked the boxed for the sleep thing and i uninstalled all the usb drivers and reinstalled them. I will test in a couple hours and report back
dkightley

I think I posted too soon!!

The very next print was back to the stuttering!! :x

I think I'll try the third method tomorrow. I need to dig out a PS2 keyboard and mouse first, though!
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
jimc

nope doesnt work. i tried to print twice, went back to double check the power management thing was unchecked and both prints stopped and had to hit force next to continue.
BuckeyeVolunteer

I have found with windows 10 it is a very needy system by that I mean it needs outside access alot.... so here is what I have found that has helped printing through the USB.
Check your settings for auto back up make sure they are set to only manual backup only.
Any program that has an auto update feature turn it off. adobe, skype, windows usually update on tuesday nights just be aware of that,.
Manually check for windows updates and install if any.
Turn off one drive and any cloud based software.
Don't turn your antivirus off it's not worth the risk.
What I do is restart my machine go through do all the updates run a scan for malware, this can cause alot of communications problems.
Next do a quick scan with your antivirus, if you are running any servers on your machine stop them.
If you also have any programs that are looking at a specific folder for changes turn it off.
Then I turn everything off except the anti virus.
Then run the print or prints, I have had no communications problems since I started doing this a couple weeks ago.
If you still have problems with the USB then I would suggest going to Octoprint instead of using the cards they corrupt way too easy.

Just my 2 cents
Bill
dtmarshall

I started having the issue again, but only occasionally. By occasionally, I mean once per print, halfway through rather than in the first 2 minutes (which frankly was even more frustrating). However, exchanging emails will support, I found that the BIOS I had on my PC was out of date, though the normal tools I use didn't detect that for some reason. I manually downloaded and installed the latest bios, dated about a year ago, and my problem is apparently completely gone now.
Geesh

dtmarshall wrote:I started having the issue again, but only occasionally. By occasionally, I mean once per print, halfway through rather than in the first 2 minutes (which frankly was even more frustrating). However, exchanging emails will support, I found that the BIOS I had on my PC was out of date, though the normal tools I use didn't detect that for some reason. I manually downloaded and installed the latest bios, dated about a year ago, and my problem is apparently completely gone now.
Just chiming in here, same issue. Did all of the mentioned steps and updated my BIOS as well, still stopping a few times per print forcing me to force next. Of course this stopping screws up the print so that's not really viable.

Anyone else?
jimc

nope, i am ahead of most people as far as windows 10 version goes and as far as the most recent beta, the issue is still there. i changed all the usb power management settings as well. still does the same thing. mine only stops once though within the first 5 min of a print. sometimes i get lucky and its just in the skirt. i just make sure to print from the sd card. one of these day i will switch my other 2 printers over to octopi.
dklassen

Interesting though I haven't tried it, others seem to print ok on Windows 10 with other packages such as Repetier, Craftware, etc. Any word from S3D on this?
zemlin

I printed for about 2 months on W10 without any real issues. I'd sometimes get a pause - never timed it, but might have been about 15 seconds. I was using a laptop connected to a docking station feeding a USB3 hub - so I think that's like going through two hubs.

I needed to free up my laptop so I switched over to Octoprint on a Raspberry PI setup. For the cost, this is a SLICK setup. I'm still slicing with S3D, but my computer and printer are now independent beings.
dklassen

I tried to get OctoPi setup the other night but could never get Wifi connected.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”