scott216

Mac opens 2nd instance

Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:17 am

On my Mac (Ver 10.9.5) if I already have Simplify3D open, and I click on the Simplify3D icon in the Dock, a whole new instance of Simplify3D opens up so now I have two Simplify3D programs running. For other programs on my Mac clicking on the Dock icon just switches to the already open app, which is what I want. Any way to get Simplify3D to behave like my other programs and just switch to the running instance when I click on the dock icon?
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Makerbot Replicator 2
Upgraded Aluminum Arms, Alucarriage, Alu-X-Ends and 3-in-1 Extruder
Mac OSX v10.9.5

KeyboardWarrior

Re: Mac opens 2nd instance

Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:13 pm

scott216 wrote:On my Mac (Ver 10.9.5) if I already have Simplify3D open, and I click on the Simplify3D icon in the Dock, a whole new instance of Simplify3D opens up so now I have two Simplify3D programs running. For other programs on my Mac clicking on the Dock icon just switches to the already open app, which is what I want. Any way to get Simplify3D to behave like my other programs and just switch to the running instance when I click on the dock icon?
I user the Terminal to do this.

http://www.cnet.com/news/how-to-open-mu ... n-in-os-x/

In the terminal, once you get to the Simplify3D directory, you can launch using the command:

/open Simplify3D.app -n

scott216

Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:54 pm

I think you recommendation is telling me to do the opposite of what I want. I don't want a 2nd instance of Simplify 3D, I only want one, even if I click on the Dock icon again.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Makerbot Replicator 2
Upgraded Aluminum Arms, Alucarriage, Alu-X-Ends and 3-in-1 Extruder
Mac OSX v10.9.5

jimc

Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:00 pm

it should work as you would expect and not open an second instance. why yours is doing that is beyond me. i have never seen that happen in over 2 years.

JoeJ

Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:23 am

I'm guessing it's because he has multiple versions of the software installed. So if he has version 3.0.0 open and then clicks on his dock icon which points to version 3.0.1, it will open a second instance of the program.

Just so you know, when you install a new version of S3D, it will automatically go into a new folder so that it doesn't overwrite all of your old files. This is very convenient, because if something ever goes wrong with the upgrade, you can always go back to the old version. So if you open a Finder window and go to Applications, you will probably see several Simplify3D directories. If you are happy with the latest version, then you can just uninstall all of the old ones (go into the folder and run the uninstaller). Then just make sure that the shortcut on your dock points to the latest version and not one of the old ones.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”