TrevorPhilips

Re: Print time estimates way off.

dkightley wrote:Do a search on the forum and you'll find several threads on the subject.......and reading them will give you all the information there is.

Whoo, that was helpfull... :roll: :roll:
TrevorPhilips

On my printer the "estimated" time is approximately +20-40%
TrevorPhilips

dkightley wrote:This is something that will never die, I'm afraid......

One dictionary definition of the word estimate is: "an approximate calculation or judgement of the value, number, quantity, or extent of something."

The problem with computers is that neither can they make an "approximate calculation" nor can they make a "judgement" .....so its going to be impossible....without a good injection of AI.....for any algorithm to be able to come up with an accurate "estimate" of print time.

And looking at this from another perspective......from a business point of view. You ask a builder to let you know what it will cost to build an extension. Would you be expecting an estimate.....or a quotation? An estimate would be "In the order of £xxxx." whereas the quotation would be "It will be £zzzz."Are S3D users expecting an estimate or a quotation??

Perhaps instead of the Build Statistics having "Build time: 0 hours 24 minutes", it should be changed to "Rough estimate of what the build time might be based on information available: 0 hours 24 minutes."

Well, S3D estimates quite badly then.
ProfabKy

FIXED!! Print time estimates way off.

I have been having issues with the printing time being way off on my simplified 3d for 2 weeks. With no help from the support of simplified3d after dropping $150.00 on this software, I took it in my hands to push to find why this is off.

After playing around with my settings I found the smallest and easiest key factor that caused this issue that can be easily overlooked. My printing speed was set to mm/min and not mm/s. Once I switched that, it set my settings to be accurate with my Cura time! See below how To access this setting.

TOOLS > OPTIONS > PREFERENCES > SPEED DISPLAY UNITS > CHANGE MM/MIN TO MM/S

I hope this is the key factor to everyone else's issues regarding this huge flaw to simplified 3d.

Happy printing!

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”