AK_Eric

Multiple Processes = multiple floors\roofs

Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:20 pm

I really enjoy the ability to created multiple processes per print to change settings as needed.

That being said, there's one area that is either broken, or I'm missing 'the button' to fix it: Every time you switch from one process to the next, it will do a full interior floor\roof at the transition, even where none should exist. The side effect is longer prints, and unnecessary use of materials. Turning off the roof\floor option per process isn't viable, since most of the time those processes still need to print viable roofs & floors on the exterior of the mesh.

I've made an example object to show this: I want to have three evenly spaced processes on this model (that's 30mm tall):
example_print.png
example_print.png (81.91 KiB) Viewed 1869 times
So I make processA go from 0->10mm, processB from 10-20mm, and processC from 20-30mm.
All processes need to have roofs and floors based on the topology of the mesh. But when I go to slice it, I get this:
three_profiles_sliced.png
three_profiles_sliced.png (114.44 KiB) Viewed 1869 times
At every transition point, it prints a roof\floor inside the model, where none are needed.

Again: I need to it to print roofs and floors for each profile since the model has roofs and floors for every section of each profile. But why is S3D printing them on the inside of the model?

Am I missing something, or is this a bug?
I've attached my factory file with the 3x profiles & (of course) includes the model.
Attachments
s3d_profileTest.factory
(10.25 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
Bots:
Makerbot Replicator 2x / Sailfish on Mightyboard
Custom C-Bot / RepRap Firmware on RADDS
Custom Tevo Little Monster / RepRap Firmware on Duet

jimc

Re: Multiple Processes = multiple floors\roofs

Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:55 pm

nope i understand and have run into this many times. luckly on the parts i usually print with multiple processes i dont have areas that need a roof or floor so i can just turn them to zero for the middle process. there really isnt any way to correct that. not sure if i would call it a bug but it is something that could be improved. the extra floor and roof dont really hurt anything but it does as you say, add additional time and material.

AK_Eric

Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:33 pm

I contacted support about this, at least to get it on their radar. Hopefully it'll show up as a fix in a future release.
Bots:

danielhenley

Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:37 pm

Can't you just set the top/bottom layers to 0 on individual processes to avoid this?

AK_Eric

Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:50 pm

But then I wouldn't get floors or ceilings where I need them based on the layers for that process. If you look at the sample print, each section needs floors and roofs based on the design: If I turn them off,.. well, I'll get holes instead. What I don't want is S3D to make a floor\roof on the inside of the print. It's a bug, straight up.
Bots:

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”