dkightley

[FIXED] Stringing on supports and rafts

Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:40 pm

I've noticed that rafts and supports may not be subject to the same ooze control as what is set up in profiles. Here's a print I did today that illustrates what I've noticed:
Img_2243_red.jpg
The print is of six separate models all running off the same profile. Look at the stringing marked 1 and 2. This from one part of the raft to the next - not a problem really, but pointed out for information.

Looking at the sequence A to F. The end of the previous layer is at A. The nozzle runs to B and prints a bit of support, then runs to C to print more support, and finally to D to print the third bit of support on the bed. There's stringing from B to C that is deposited on the surface of the model at F. Similarly, there's stringing from C to D that spoils the surface at E. And the stringing stops when the support material is no longer printed. There's virtually no stringing elsewhere on the models. The worst bit is on the chimneys.

So, from the above, I must assume that support material does not have ooze control on it...which I believe is a bug. Alternatively, it needs separate ooze control!

Now I know this is an issue, I can place models to print with any support material facing each other so the stringing runs through fresh air. But I shouldn't have to!
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

JoeJ

Re: Stringing on supports and rafts

Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:58 am

dkightley wrote:I must assume that support material does not have ooze control on it
I just looked at the gcode that S3D generates, and there are retractions for all of the support structures, just like there is for the normal part. So ooze control does work for the supports as well. You can look at the preview to see this for yourself.

pbmax

Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:35 pm

Here's my post in another thread on the same topic:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3772&p=18955#p18955

Thanks for the link, dkightley.

My preview snaps clearly show a lack of retract coming off of the support in the g-code generated by that factory file. Note that in my case this happens only when "only retract when crossing open spaces" is checked.

S3D-Jason

Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:25 pm

This issue has now been fixed in Version 4.0.0. Please see the thread below for more information:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3772&start=10#p34811

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”