C-line

Controlling ooze shield height

Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:21 pm

When using dual extrusion, is it possible to control the height of the ooze shield?

It usually makes sense to stop printing the ooze shield after the last tool change to save filament and printing time. But if you add a process at the top of the print, say 1mm above the last tool change, and turn off the ooze shield, it seems to have no effect.

The same thing seems to be true of the prime pillar height.

Has anyone found a solution to this issue?

JoeJ

Re: Controlling ooze shield height

Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:03 am

I found that I want the ooze shield to continue for the entire print, because my second extruder keeps oozing the entire time. If I stopped it too early, the other extruder would just make a mess on the part, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

You could try making 2 processes if you really wanted to get around it, but it's doing exactly what I want for my dual extrusion prints

C-line

Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:50 pm

JoeJ wrote:I found that I want the ooze shield to continue for the entire print, because my second extruder keeps oozing the entire time. If I stopped it too early, the other extruder would just make a mess on the part, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

You could try making 2 processes if you really wanted to get around it, but it's doing exactly what I want for my dual extrusion prints
I do that on some parts, too, especially when both extruders are active for most of the print.

But on other parts, where the second extruder is used only very early in the print, it makes more sense to turn off the second extruder and stop printing the ooze shield after the last tool change. Adding a process to turn down the temperature on the second extruder works fine; but using the same process to turn off the ooze shield has no effect.

If you know a way to do it, please share your method -- maybe I'm missing something.

horst.w

Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:00 pm

C-line wrote: ... but using the same process to turn off the ooze shield has no effect.

If you know a way to do it, please share your method -- maybe I'm missing something.
The Turn Off must be set in the 2nd process.

H.

C-line

Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:34 pm

horst.w wrote:
The Turn Off must be set in the 2nd process.

H.
Yes, this should work but does not have the expected effect -- at least for me.
If you have been able to successfully turn off the ooze shield at a specific layer height, please explain your specific method, or attach a factory file.
Thanks!

horst.w

Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:23 pm

I hope I have understood right what you wish to do - german speaking.

It is very easy to do.
Your object ist printed first in process 1; here check on the oozeshield with his setting as needed.
This process you stops in ADVANCED, say 3 mm (like my pic from the running print)

Next, you add a 2nd process by ADD; this will be a copy of process 1; in this 2nd process uncheck ADDITIONS - Oozeshield and in ADVANCE you delete STOP and add the same value for START .

Thats all.

Greetings
horst.w, GER

Rjburt

Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:13 pm

I have found that in advanced if I choose "stop printing at height" and set the value taller than my model then for some reason the ooze shield appears to stop when the color changing stops. I have emailed customer support on how to change the ooze shield height to automatically make it stop when color swaps stop. I have an IDEX printer so no worry about second nozzle oozing.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”