lithgowlights

Print order for multiple objects

While it's not really a big, there is room for improvement here. Recently I was printing about 100 beds containing 20 of the same item, a round led light cover, and what I did was import 1, then duplicate it 19 times to get a 5*4 grid of the items on the bed.

When S3D went to print it what it did not do was do row 1, then go to row 2 in the opposite order then row 3 etc and then do the same in reverse, what it actually did was far from ideal, missing some, and doubling back. It probably added 10-15% to the print time over the most ideal path between items. It may have been printing them in the order they were listed on the parts list on the left rather than the most efficient order.

Maybe this could be an option - Print in parts list order, or print in fastest order?
JoeJ

Re: Print order for multiple objects

They have options to customize this more if you want. I would recommend creating multiple processes and using sequential printing which will save a LOT of time. You can read more about how to do that here: https://www.simplify3d.com/support/tuto ... -printing/

If you follow that guide, you can control the order of how the objects print by choosing the order of your processes. For example, process 1 with model 1 will print first, then process 2 with model 2, etc.
lithgowlights

I have seen that way, and it's a clunky workaround, but it does work.

When I often print 20-80 duplicated items on the bed at once it would take me longer to set up the print than it would save lol. Also some of the items here already have 2 or 3 processes depending on layer height as small round hollow covers are a pest to get looking good without taking ages to print so changing settings on the last 6-8 layers works great, but using the same settings for lower parts would take too long.
nerys

This either does not work or is unrealiable.

I LOVE sequential printing. you get multiple parts without the "damage" that can result going part to part one layer at a time.

printer entire part move to next one.

so far it has always does this in the order in which I have them in my process list. but I have issues where making "certain" changes breaks this ordering and there is no mechanism I can find to put it back.

I have the parts layed out specifically to prevent a collision with part and printer hardware/structure.

I decided one part needed a raft (bed level ultra critical small thin part with threads)

once I added the raft its stopped sequential printing it 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

and INSTEAD now does R 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1 (r being raft alone no part)

the hot end has to pass through TWO printed parts to get back to position 1. I hope it stays at finish z height until it gets to part 1 space again. Grrr

I tried to undo it and it broke it even further.

now it does 5 1 2 3 4 6 7 8 ???? WTH ???

how do I fix this. I need it to print sequentially in the "correct" order.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_60FJMzUt4 (give it about 8 or 9 minutes to finish uploading)
nerys

ok so rafts break sequential printing.

how do I undo it to get my order back? removing the raft does not do it.

its still out of order and not even the same way. different again.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”