TheRiddick

Trying to print stl file, software claims it's a x3g!

After 2 months of downtime waiting for parts, I finally get to try out S3D. The first issue is I open up my STL file, spend time configuring everything, go to print, printer does not support x3g file!?!

Is there a fault with the software? my printer is a Ecubmaker Fantasy, I did just use the CTC printer settings which appear to configure correctly (Ecubmaker has worse support than CTC if that can be believed, so no working profiles from them).

Bottom line is why does it think STL files are x3g files when I goto print? very confused!
CompoundCarl

Re: Trying to print stl file, software claims it's a x3g!

First of all, the STL file and your gcode/x3g files are completely different things. One is a 3D model make up of triangles, the other is the toolpaths for your printer with instructions on how to create each layer of your part. So it would never print an STL file directly. That would never work.

I'm not sure what the ecubemaker printer is, but the CTC definitely uses x3g files. You'll have to check with the ecubemaker manufacturer to see what file formats that printer needs. If you're using the correct format for that printer, then you won't get these error messages. So it's possible ecubemaker printers use normal gcode or something like that.
TheRiddick

Re: Trying to print stl file, software claims it's a x3g!

I found the setting for it, has in two places, firmware selection and in process screen under scripts (create .x3g).

Once those are off it's fine, however my printer is unsupported so I gotta figure allot of things out. Atm it skips preheating and just tries to print solid filament..

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”