mroek

Multiple models with support on only one?

Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:04 am

I just discovered something really annoying, and that is you can't have manual supports on just one model on the build plate.

Assume you have manually added the supports you want on one of the models. Support generation must be turned on in the profile, and for this one model everything works as expected. However, for the other models that you don't really want support on, S3D will then auto-generate support material.

This is annoying as hell, and the only workaround I have found, is to manually add some support material to all of the models, even those that shouldn't really have any.

CompoundCarl

Re: Multiple models with support on only one?

Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:41 am

I do this all the time. You just have to create different processes, since you are essentially using different slicing settings for different models. Then you can have some parts with support, and others without (in fact, you can actually change any setting you want so that some parts use completely different settings than others)

This tutorial explains how to do it in case you haven't done it before: https://www.simplify3d.com/support/tuto ... -printing/ (that even has instructions for doing sequential printing, which can also improve the quality since you don't jump between parts so often)

mroek

Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:54 am

I'll be darned!
I have used multiple processes many times, but only to have different settings for different heights. I had completely forgotten about the "Select models" button. Thanks for pointing me in the correct direction, although I'm a bit embarrassed that you had to... :roll:

pcman

Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:23 am

If all you need is to suppress automatic supports, set the support pillar resolution in the process settings to something ridiculously big, such as 1,000mm. S3D won't then create any supports automatically.

danielhenley

Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:15 pm

pcman wrote:If all you need is to suppress automatic supports, set the support pillar resolution in the process settings to something ridiculously big, such as 1,000mm. S3D won't then create any supports automatically.
This is a great idea! The multiple process solution works, but it's a pain.

For ease of use, I'd suggest simplify add a per object option to print with or without supports.

dkightley

Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:59 pm

I'd suggest simplify add a per object option to print with or without supports.
The ability to do this is already in the software....and personally I don't think it being "a pain" to do is a good enough reason to make a change to the software when there are many other valid requests for enhancements that do not have an existing means of being done.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

mroek

Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:20 am

dkightley wrote:
I'd suggest simplify add a per object option to print with or without supports.
The ability to do this is already in the software....and personally I don't think it being "a pain" to do is a good enough reason to make a change to the software when there are many other valid requests for enhancements that do not have an existing means of being done.
I agree. My issue in this thread isn't really a issue at all, since it has not just one, but two possible solutions in the current version of S3D.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”