mjohnsonsa

Ghosting image on part...

Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:44 am

Has anyone ever seen a problem like this? I have attached the photo. The print is actually creating a "ghosted" outline of the part offset on the solid layers of the part. This is not ringing as it is a single ghosted image and it is offset by a good inch or two. Normally one may blame the hardware for this but it happens on all 3 of my identical printers (Monoprice 3D Flashforge Creator Pro Clones). Here is what is really crazy, it only happens when using the left extruder! I have tried numerous things to resolve it, none of which have worked, including:

1. Changing printers altogether
2. Changing filaments
3. Rebuilding the STL from my model (Autodesk Fusion 360)
4. Rotating the model on the print bed
5. Various changes in the slicer (changing speeds, etc)

One thing to note is that the extruder is not actually following this ghosted image to create the outline, as you watch it, the image just appears as the extruder is making its linear passes, it is as if the extruder is jut pushing a little more filament each time it crosses where the outline of the ghosted image is at. I hope this makes sense. I am running Sailfish 7.7 on the machines.

Thanks.
20160213_120745.jpg

CompoundCarl

Re: Ghosting image on part...

Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:54 am

That probably means your second extruder was hot and "leaking" on the part during the print. They are at the same height, so this can happen.

If you're only printing with one extruder, make sure you choose the "Left extruder only" or "Right extruder only" auto-configure options so that the unused extruder isn't heated. You DO NOT want to use the "Both Extruders" auto-configure option if you are only printing with a single extruder.

MichaelHerron

Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:06 pm

mjohnsonsa wrote:Has anyone ever seen a problem like this? I have attached the photo. The print is actually creating a "ghosted" outline of the part offset on the solid layers of the part. This is not ringing as it is a single ghosted image and it is offset by a good inch or two. Normally one may blame the hardware for this but it happens on all 3 of my identical printers (Monoprice 3D Flashforge Creator Pro Clones). Here is what is really crazy, it only happens when using the left extruder! I have tried numerous things to resolve it, none of which have worked, including:

2. Changing filaments

One thing to note is that the extruder is not actually following this ghosted image to create the outline, as you watch it, the image just appears as the extruder is making its linear passes, it is as if the extruder is jut pushing a little more filament each time it crosses where the outline of the ghosted image is at. I hope this makes sense. I am running Sailfish 7.7 on the machines.

Thanks.
20160213_120745.jpg
If it only happens when using the left extruder, it means your right extruder is slightly lower. As it moves along the part--heated or not--it contacts printed features such as holes, etc.. When it does contact them, it raises the entire print carraige slightly, thus creating a ghost "ridge" in the part. Sometimes even the ghost images will create another ghost image. Your best bet is to just remove the unused nozzle. You can try shimming the right side of the carraige slightly(loosen the screw under the right side of the carraige and insert a shim between the aluminum bar and the plastic--then retighten the screw)--this is vastly easier than trying to adjust the nozzle height using the set screws. Adjustments may never fully rid you of this, but perfectly adjusted extruders will minimize it. for important prints, just remove the right nozzle or USE the right nozzle.

mjohnsonsa

Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:32 pm

MichaelHerron wrote:
mjohnsonsa wrote:Has anyone ever seen a problem like this? I have attached the photo. The print is actually creating a "ghosted" outline of the part offset on the solid layers of the part. This is not ringing as it is a single ghosted image and it is offset by a good inch or two. Normally one may blame the hardware for this but it happens on all 3 of my identical printers (Monoprice 3D Flashforge Creator Pro Clones). Here is what is really crazy, it only happens when using the left extruder! I have tried numerous things to resolve it, none of which have worked, including:

2. Changing filaments

Thanks.
20160213_120745.jpg
If it only happens when using the left extruder, it means your right extruder is slightly lower. As it moves along the part--heated or not--it contacts printed features such as holes, etc.. When it does contact them, it raises the entire print carraige slightly, thus creating a ghost "ridge" in the part. Sometimes even the ghost images will create another ghost image. Your best bet is to just remove the unused nozzle. You can try shimming the right side of the carraige slightly(loosen the screw under the right side of the carraige and insert a shim between the aluminum bar and the plastic--then retighten the screw)--this is vastly easier than trying to adjust the nozzle height using the set screws. Adjustments may never fully rid you of this, but perfectly adjusted extruders will minimize it. for important prints, just remove the right nozzle or USE the right nozzle.
Done. Thank you guys!

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”