mitchfx

Slicing taking forever after rotating model with supports

Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:22 am

I have a model with lots of supports and it slices just fine until I rotate it on Z at all (to better fit by print bed). After doing this the slicing takes FOREVER and usually just kill S3D after about 30min. If I disable supports it works fine. If I clear my supports and auto-generate them again it is also fine, but these supports took me quite a while to get just right on a complicated model so I'd rather not have to do it over again.

Any ideas?

jimc

Re: Slicing taking forever after rotating model with support

Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:58 pm

no, never seen this happen. i can say that if even a complex model takes more than 30-40 sec to slice and give you a preview then something is wrong. im on an 09 imac. not slow but far from the most powerful machine and even a bunch of duplicated models that fill my entire build volume never takes more than 30 sec to slice. i rotate, scale and transform all the time. no problem. i realize that was no help whatsoever :lol:

phil123456

Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:39 am

same here

it loads forever
glad to hear that it has something to do with the rotation axis

indeed I rotated my part so it was totaly horizontal
and now it takes forever to slice

then once I cancelled it, I just cannot restart the slicing anymore

as usual I guess the s3D team will deny this bug :-)

horst.w

Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:06 am

Yes, so I also think.
But without any information about the issue they can not do anything. Such an issue never had happens for me.
I guess it is a problem with the model itself. Use the repair service of NetFabb or similar and try it out again.

Regards
horst.w
GER

dkightley

Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:03 pm

same here

it loads forever
glad to hear that it has something to do with the rotation axis

indeed I rotated my part so it was totaly horizontal
and now it takes forever to slice

then once I cancelled it, I just cannot restart the slicing anymore
The OP reported this as an issue almost a year ago...and since then there's been a major and a minor software release...the latter incorporating some bug fixes that I believe relate to the software hanging........so I can't see very much of a link between that issue and the one you are having now.......unless you're on a pre v4 release of the software. In which case, I would seriously suggest you upgrade to the latest release and then see if the hanging continues.

If you're already on the latest release then I'm sure the Devs....who you accuse of denying that there's a bug even before you report one......would appreciate you posting as much information about your particular issue so they will have the smallest chance of replicating your issue. Once replicated, they more than half way to getting a fix!
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”