Apocrathia

OS X STL Import Crash

Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:50 am

This has apparently been an issue for over a year, and I'm somewhat disappointed that for a $150 piece of software, it still hasn't been fixed.

Whenever you import an STL through the GUI menus, Simplify3D comes back with an error "CANNOT AUTO ARRANGE. LARGEST PART EXCEEDS BUILD DIMENSIONS". After that, the program locks up and you have to force quit. However, if you drag the STL file into the window, the model imports perfectly fine. This is a mild annoyance, but I keep a MacBook hooked to my printer almost constantly. I'll lock up the program, potentially losing whatever I was working on, and have to restart. Again, it feels unacceptable for such an expensive piece of software. Is there any update on this issue?

idapilot67

Re: OS X STL Import Crash

Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:36 pm

i am a new user (new to 3D printing etc) and just purchased the software. What to my consternation exactly the same thing is happening to me. The import function from the GUI should just work. Please fix this bug.
That said I am glad you posted a workaround.

malcinator

Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:29 pm

As an OS X user I'm frustrated by this issue and would definitely like to see it fixed in a not to distant future update.

ThumperMCM

Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:55 pm

malcinator wrote:As an OS X user I'm frustrated by this issue and would definitely like to see it fixed in a not to distant future update.
I really wished I would have visited this forum before I plopped down my hard earned money on something that failed the first time I tried to use it. I'm not finding any STL that I can import that doesn't cause this error. I did find on old post on this forum from back in 2014 where the suggestion that you can drag and drop the STL file into the app would work. This does indeed work but it's just sad that this is core functionality that obviously had not been tested. Thumbs down to the test team for missing this. Especially since it appears to be a regression.

dammitcoetzee

Sat May 28, 2016 8:24 pm

I am experiencing this too on OSX. This is super basic. Please fix it.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”