lanahans

Licensing problems with Linux Mint

Hi Everyone,

Emailed support but figured I'd post here since I'm unlikely to receive a response until Monday earliest, losing precious hours of printing time.

The licenses for this product are completely infuriating. I am trying to use the software from ONE COMPUTER. Every time I launch the software it re-registers the license as if it's a fresh install if I restart my computer prior to launching it. So far I've gotten around this requirement by... never restarting this computer. When the licenses were filling up on the account (limit of 2), I would have to go into the device section in simplify3d.com and force a reset to the licenses. Well I guess after doing that once or twice you can't do it any more.

I know what you're thinking, just uninstall the software to remove the license. Yeah, I thought that too. Upon uninstalling and selecting to remove the license when prompted to do so, I reinstall the software. Then I try and log in... same problem. Too many activations. It also prompts you with the "go into the other software install and go to help, then click deactivate license." That's a good joke considering I can't log into the software to click that button.

Linux Mint 17.3
Installed as root, to /opt/
Launched with LaunchScript.sh

I'm sorry if it seems I'm made of salt. I am. I just had to go through a license fiasco with Microsoft Office 2 days ago and now I have this nightmare to contend with. DRM and licenses are such bs, endless hoops to jump through for paying customers.
andrewk72

Re: Licensing problems with Linux Mint

I have the same OS and it works fine here.

If you don't have proper permissions, you will definitely get the behavior your described, since the software won't be allowed to save your license info for the next time you open it. Thus it acts like it was never licensed each time you restart it. So to verify it isn't permissions related try launching it a few times in a row using the command below:

cd /opt/Simplify3D-3.0.2/
sudo ./LaunchScript.sh

Note the "sudo" in the second command which will help make sure this isn't related to permissions limitations on your account. Try launching it that way a few times in a row and see if you still have the same problem.
CompoundCarl

Are you running it using the sudo commands andrew listed above? Or are you trying to launch it a different way?

I also run it on Linux and have never had any problems. So there must be something different about what you're doing or how your system is configured...
alibby

CompoundCarl wrote:Are you running it using the sudo commands andrew listed above? Or are you trying to launch it a different way?

I also run it on Linux and have never had any problems. So there must be something different about what you're doing or how your system is configured...
Its a rolling system, we use Arch Linux at work. This software is made in Qt, Qt has no DRM module. This is a problem with the programmers at Simplify3D. The way they ID a system is able to change over time, in the DRM game that means you did something incorrectly.
alibby

CompoundCarl wrote:Are you running it using the sudo commands andrew listed above? Or are you trying to launch it a different way?

Yes I start with:

[user@desktop ~]$ cd /opt/Simplify3D/
[user@desktop Simplify3D]$ sudo ./LaunchScript.sh
CompoundCarl

What do you mean by a "rolling system"?
wfcook

alibby wrote:

Its a rolling system, we use Arch Linux at work. This software is made in Qt, Qt has no DRM module. This is a problem with the programmers at Simplify3D. The way they ID a system is able to change over time, in the DRM game that means you did something incorrectly.
I run it just fine on Mint, in a Virtual environment, behind a very restrictive firewall. And I don't think the user-interface library (Qt) has anything to do with it. It really does look like it's a permissions issue of some sort, either with file access or your firewall.
jhesketh

I am running into very similar problems

I Just did an STRACE and saw this.

lstat("/home/jhesketh/.config/Simplify3D.conf", 0x7ffc4c94dc10) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/home/jhesketh/.config/Simplify3D.conf", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
stat("/home/jhesketh/.config/Simplify3D.conf", 0x7ffc4c94dc60) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
stat("/home/jhesketh/.config/Simplify3D.conf", 0x7ffc4c94dc50) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
lstat("/etc/xdg/Simplify3D/S3D-Software.conf", 0x7ffc4c94dc10) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/etc/xdg/Simplify3D/S3D-Software.conf", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
stat("/etc/xdg/Simplify3D/S3D-Software.conf", 0x7ffc4c94dc60) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
stat("/etc/xdg/Simplify3D/S3D-Software.conf", 0x7ffc4c94dc50) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
lstat("/etc/xdg/Simplify3D.conf", 0x7ffc4c94dc10) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/etc/xdg/Simplify3D.conf", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
stat("/etc/xdg/Simplify3D.conf", 0x7ffc4c94dc60) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
stat("/etc/xdg/Simplify3D.conf", 0x7ffc4c94dc50) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

I have attached the STRACE as well.

I did a ls -lash /home/jhesketh/.config | grep Simpli

0 drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 66 Dec 4 10:05 Simplify3D

Two things to note.

a) the file does not exist.
b) explains why the script did not change the permissions as it should have done.

Now as I had to install this using SUDO (as in it would not install without using SUDO)

I also LS'd the root .config directory (for some reason you launch the Program as part of the installation).

It has the same issue no Simplify3d.conf file

I can only conclude that either you are looking for the wrong files or they are not being written in the first place.

I would love to try again, but I am out of deactivations now.

One quick "ask" here, your website says that any linux version — Ubuntu Linux 12.10 or greater is fine to install on, does that include 16.10 ?
Attachments
jhesketh-simplify3d.txt
strace
(108.83 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
brian442

Seems like this could have benefited from a new thread, but from that log it probably just means that the app has never been allowed to save your settings file before. I've run the software on a bunch of different linux distros and the Simplify3D.conf file is the saved settings. I just looked on a few of my instances, and that file exists (but I've also already used the software on those machines). It's probably normal to not have that file if you haven't used the software there yet (or it isn't saving and restoring settings).

Also possible you have just never run the software with appropriate permissions, so it has never been able to save these settings.

You might want to try just installing a fresh Ubuntu 16.x and installing there. I'm not sure what exactly is wrong with your current distro, but for kicks I just installed it on stock Ubuntu and it works fine. So at least that would let you know if the problem is only with your settings on that one computer

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”