jonholmes

Supposedly "exceeding build dimensions"

Using version 3.0.2, set up for a Creatbot DX plus (hence build plate dimensions 300 x 250 ), I have tried to import several models that I know are large, but easily inside those dimensions. I get the warning "cannot Auto arrange, largest part exceeds build dimensions.

If I enlarge the build dimensions to, say, 500 x 500, the models will import.

Then I can re-set the build dimensions back to 300 x 250 and adjust the models position so that it is entirely within the build area and prepare to print. Everything now looks good.

Why won't Simplify3D accept the model in the first place?
CompoundCarl

Re: Supposedly "exceeding build dimensions"

Why don't you post your factory file?
jimc

You prob need to rotate the model 90deg. S3d wont auto rotate it so ignore the warning and import the model, rotate it 90 then hit center and arrange. If this is not the case then the only other possible problem is to have a stray triangle or polygon somewhere in the mesh that is making the size of it very large and s3d is picking that up
symekutz

in your machine definition make sure your offsets are setup correctly. I am on a delta and didn't have them set correctly and it was telling me all the time that I was outside print area.
jonholmes

I have been away for a few days - back to "exceed dimensions" !!

The 3DSimplify was a new purchase, so I have not altered anything except machine details, so factory file is default.
I have tried importing many models that I know are small ( mine and also from thingverse - down to 70 x 70 x 70 mm size)

Attached is screenshot of machine options
Screen Shot 2016-05-22 at 9.13.16 PM.png
I have been able to manage to get a model imported about 3 times (out of about 30 attempts) but I cannot manage again immediately after, trying to replicate the steps I previously tried.

Also, now that I have actually tried to print, I cannot get 3DSimplify to successfully connect to the printer.
Another software (matterControl) has no trouble connecting, or importing the models.
Again, I have managed about 3 times to connect (out of 50 attempts)

I have tried installing the software on another computer (an older macbook pro). The models import OK, but no connection. I cannot find any difference in preferences settings between the two machines.

Any further suggestions?
briankb

I'm having the same issue and using the built in profile for Rostock Max v2 (a delta printer from seemecnc).

I have not changed anything and still get this exceeds build area error.

Factory file is attached
Onyx_Bed_Level_Aid_V2.factory
(25.12 KiB) Downloaded 272 times
dorsai3d

This is an entirely different issue than what was posted in this thread before. But the problem is: Simplify3D doesn't check anything but the rectangle build area defined, regardless of whether or not you're using a delta. I'm pretty sure it also only checks the X-axis, I know it doesn't check Z.
briankb

Thanks. I try not to create new threads when something is similar, or in this case I thought it was the same thing or close enough.

If S3D is only using the rectangular dimensions but supports circular/delta configs I would call that a "bug" that needs to be fixed.

Thanks again for the insight.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”