QualtersMiddleSchool

Line prints fine, first layer floats

Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:17 pm

I'm fairly certain I have a software issue here. I'm using a Monoprice dual printer. Using either nozzle, the first line prints perfectly and sticks strong (PEI covered bed, 40 degrees). But as soon as it starts printing anything else (model, skirt, ooze shield) the nozzle is clearly up too high and the plastic either extrudes but doesn't stick at all, or it drifts around until it catches and starts building up around the nozzle.

Yes I leveled the bed. About ten times.

Then I switched back to ReplicatorG, waited about ten minutes for it to slice a simple test object. It printed ok. The first layer wasn't perfect, but it stuck.

So I'm thinking a setting in Simplify 3d is off, but I don't know what it is. Any help would be appreciated as there are projects to be printed before the end of school next week.

CompoundCarl

Re: Line prints fine, first layer floats

Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:19 am

It sounds like you just need to adjust the first layer position. That's pretty common when switching between software programs, since RepG might print a little lower than S3D does by default. However, that's all easy to adjust in the software. It's explained in more detail here: https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... to-the-bed

taztattoo

Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:10 pm

QualtersMiddleSchool wrote:I'm fairly certain I have a software issue here. I'm using a Monoprice dual printer. Using either nozzle, the first line prints perfectly and sticks strong (PEI covered bed, 40 degrees). But as soon as it starts printing anything else (model, skirt, ooze shield) the nozzle is clearly up too high and the plastic either extrudes but doesn't stick at all, or it drifts around until it catches and starts building up around the nozzle.

Yes I leveled the bed. About ten times.

Then I switched back to ReplicatorG, waited about ten minutes for it to slice a simple test object. It printed ok. The first layer wasn't perfect, but it stuck.

So I'm thinking a setting in Simplify 3d is off, but I don't know what it is. Any help would be appreciated as there are projects to be printed before the end of school next week.

I'm having the same issue with the first layer. The bed is level and the temperatures don't seem to help. Were you able to test the z-axis change and did it help?

Maarten

Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:51 am

Hi, I have the same problem. I use a Leapfrog HS (awesome printer once it works) and the first layers of raft and brim are printed at Z 1.09. The troubleshooting guide says I have to use a global Z offset, but could someone frome S3D please explain why this happens in the first place? I leveled my bed using a 0.07mm steel feeler gauge.
thanks, Maarten

CompoundCarl

Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:49 am

It's always common to need to adjust the first layer position. Even if you level the bed, you still have to adjust the nozzle position if you want a perfect first layer. Until printers get better with more sophisticated leveling, homing, and positioning systems, that's just the way it is. I can't even tell you how many times I've had to adjust the nozzle position on my printers. In many cases, just the backlash or inconsistency with the bed movements will cause it. Most printers just aren't rigid enough to avoid having to recalibrate occasionally.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”