SteveIsHeer

Memory leak in 3.1

The new update has a memory leak issue. If you drop a model on the visual table, slice it, then exit preview mode and remove the model, the task manager shows the Simplify3D task's private memory usage does not go back to what it was prior to attempting the slice. What's worse, if you do this 3 or 4 times with a large model, the amount of memory tied to the process keeps increasing each time. I ran into a situation where I was just testing the slicing of a few models without actually printing them and then loaded one model I wanted to print but was experiencing weird temp fluctuations to the point I could not get a nice print. I closed out of the software then reloaded Simplify3D and put that model back in to slice/print. This time the temps stayed within +-2 degree's. At first I thought it was just a glitch but I have been able to reproduce the same results over and over again. And in the process had Simplify3D lock up to the point I had to use task manager to kill it. I never have any issues if I load the software, load a model, slice it and print but if I don't close out between print jobs, the memory usage keeps climbing. I've run extensive memory tests on my PC to rule out bad memory modules and have no issues with the test or other 3D software.
It show's to go you how feelish you fool when your tang is all tungled up and you bart stalking tackwards!
andrewk72

Re: Memory leak in 3.1

I just sliced several incredibly large parts over and over again, and can't find any signs of a memory leak. Tested on Windows 7 and Windows 10. I probably did it 15 times in a row and the memory usage didn't increase at all. The parts were quite large and complex and required about 4GB just to preview them, so if there was a leak, it would have shown up very quickly.

So I have zero issues with 3.1. I'm guessing you're probably looking at the wrong memory column in the task manager since there's several different ones and it's easy to confuse them.
jimc

i just checked this as well and have to agree with andrew. i sliced and resliced over and over while watching the memory usage and it never built up. windows 10
dennisjm

I've never run S3D on windows, but I've run it on Mac since early 2.0 builds. It's always leaked memory when I parse a lot of models. I have to regularly restart it. (I parse a _lot_ of models.)
dorsai3d

SteveIsHeer wrote: I ran into a situation where I was just testing the slicing of a few models without actually printing them and then loaded one model I wanted to print but was experiencing weird temp fluctuations to the point I could not get a nice print. I closed out of the software then reloaded Simplify3D and put that model back in to slice/print. This time the temps stayed within +-2 degree's.
I haven't seen any memory leaks, but I don't do a lot of large,complicated STLS, either. I can say, though, that fluctuating temperatures is 99.999% not related Simplify3D, as S3D just tells your printer once what temperature to maintain, and then it's 100% on the printer's controller to keep that temperature constant.
greybeard

FYI - I posted a memory leak testing comment in the General Discussion/Tips section - page 3 of "version 3.1.1, Any improvements from requests?"

Could be a bug in 3.1.1 but I use 3.1.0 so, for me it's still a general comment...
3D Print Parts
https://www.thingiverse.com/Still_Breathing/designs

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”