dennisje182

Simplyfy 3d fills in horizontal sections

Hello,

Something odd is happening with my model. When I import the .stl i can clearly see it that the horizontal sections have an open structure.

But after I sliced the model it fills in those sections with planes.....:

What is happening? Is this a weird setting somewhere?
andrewk72

Re: Simplyfy 3d fills in horizontal sections

99% chance it's a problem with your STL file. That's the only thing I've ever seen do something like that. Try repairing the STL file first.
dennisje182

Yeah that is what I thought aswell, so this is what I tried:

- I ran it through https://tools3d.azurewebsites.net/ but that gave the same result.
- I also tried to slice the same model in Kisslicer and suprisingly there it al went well, so something seems to be going wrong in Simplify3D
- I used a different layer height, no result.

Maybe someone can see if they can repeat my problem...?

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1134611
andrewk72

Posting your factory file would be much more helpful (go to file > save factory file)
dorsai3d

You've got the option "Merge all options into a single solid model" enabled. That fills in any area that is completely outlined by the model, and is why you're getting solid layers like that. Disabling that allows it to slice perfectly fine for me.

PS: Rafts are bad.
dennisje182

dorsai3d wrote:You've got the option "Merge all options into a single solid model" enabled. That fills in any area that is completely outlined by the model, and is why you're getting solid layers like that. Disabling that allows it to slice perfectly fine for me.

PS: Rafts are bad.
That was it! Thnx!

Not sure what this option is for.............but I don't need it :)

PS: What is your thing against rafts? For me it works since sometimes the model (ABS) comes curling up a little bit at the corners. I'd rather have the model doing that at a raft than at the model itself.

Also, sometimes I use a little ABS slurry to 'glue' the model to my heated bed, but it works a little bit too well:P, So getting my model unstuck from my heated bed, I risk breaking the model, since it is so stuck to the bed...it's easier to first get it unstuck from the raft.
dorsai3d

I have a semi-rational dislike of rafts. They're generally used as a crutch for poorly leveled/not flat beds, and making disposable build plates (looking at you, Stratasys). They're also pretty much universally a waste of time and plastic as compared to other methods of getting things to stick (like brims/helper feet).

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”