metalman3797

Exporting build creates 2 export files.

Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:01 am

When I export a build, Simplify3D exports two files for my Dremel Idea Builder printer. *.gcode and *.g3drem but my printer can only read *.g3drem files.

I didn't have this problem in the past and after the latest update it happens. I reinstalled windows and on a fresh install it still exports 2 files per build.

Can anyone help with this? Its annoying! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (4.98 KiB) Viewed 743 times

CompoundCarl

Re: Exporting build creates 2 export files.

Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:29 am

Yup, it always creates a gcode file since that is the standard file format. It does the same thing for other formats like x3g or makerbot. In many cases, the other formats like g3drem and x3g and unreadable, so it's always good to include the universal gcode format as well. The gcode file also includes a record of the settings that were used, which is useful if you ever want to go back and know how a specific print was made.

But I guess if you don't want any of that information, you can always delete it. You might even be able to automatically delete it from the post-processing script

mitchfx

Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:37 pm

I'm seeing this now as well after the latest update. It's pretty annoying and takes up twice as much drive space unless you remember to delete the .gcode file every time. Not sure why they changed this and assume it's a bug.

M

brian442

Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:32 pm

It has always worked this way. If you create a binary file, it also exports the standard gcode file.

If you want to delete it, there's an easy post-processing command in another thread on the forum that does it automatically (but then keep in mind you won't have anything readable that shows what your print was doing!)

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”