hopmedic

Simplify3D Won't Launch Properly

I am having a problem where I try to launch Simplify3D (3.1.0), and nothing happens. Sometimes when I open the task manager, it will become visible, and I can just close the task manager and go to work in S3D. Sometimes I've had to restart my PC to get it to launch.

Today, I tried going into Task Manager then Details, and looked at the Analyze Wait Chain for the S3D process, and it was waiting on SVC Host. I killed the service host, and then what I got was a message that I have activated S3D on too many PCs. I've only ever installed it on this PC. I looked online, and it had two dates - one from back in February, and one in March. I killed those, and was allowed to log back in.

This having to use Task Manager to launch the application is inconvenient but I can work with it. Having to restart my PC to get it to launch is more than frustrating.

Does anyone else have this problem?
JohnOCFII

Re: Simplify3D Won't Launch Properly

I don't have this problem.

What operating system and version are you using? (Sounds like some version of Windows).

There is a license check when Simplify3D starts -- do you have aggressive settings in your firewall to the Internet?
hopmedic

Windows 10 Pro, with Anniversary Update. The firewall is at default settings, and every now and then S3D launches right away, but that's rare, so most of the time I open Task Manager as soon as I click to launch the application. This tells me that since it launches occasionally without delay, and most of the time as soon as I open Task Manager, there's not a firewall problem, or it would happen every time, and would never get launched.
CompoundCarl

I'm not sure that's good reasoning. It probably doesn't communicate with their servers every time you open the software. So if you're seeing a long delay sometimes and not others, that seems normal. I would still think the network communication is the main culprit here. Either something on the computer is blocking it, and thus the software is waiting a long time for a response that never comes, or the network traffic is just going really slow.
hopmedic

Except that when in your assumption, there is no network communication, and I happen to kill the svchost process and suddenly get a login window, the communication for the login works fine (but I have to then go to the website to kill the former login). Communication is happening. And I don't recall any message ever asking me if it needed to get through the firewall... Regardless, since my firewall is in a default state, with no tightening down, if that were the problem, everyone on Windows 10 would have the same problem.

Side note - as a software developer myself, I view software vendors that make me connect to the internet to use their software as tyrannical.
hopmedic

For your benefit, though, I just added a rule to the firewall allowing all communications from S3D. No change. Even had to restart my PC to get it to launch.
JohnOCFII

hopmedic wrote:For your benefit, though, I just added a rule to the firewall allowing all communications from S3D. No change. Even had to restart my PC to get it to launch.
Thanks for taking the time to rule out the firewall.

Do you have another machine you can test? Was Simplify3D installed after the Anniversary update, or before? (I'm grasping at straws here...)

You might also open a ticket with Simplify3D.

John
CompoundCarl

I have a Win10 machine with the latest anniversary update and it works fine for me. So I would think it's something specific to your computer or network that's preventing it from working
Youngjedi

I have been experiencing this exact same problem. just the other day, with my windows 10 surface pro, I would launch the software. I would get the error stating i have exceeded the amount of installs. that is false, because it is only on my surface pro and on my pc at work. the only way to get around this was to reboot. this happened to me about 5 times over a two day period. again, had to reboot (sometimes more than once) just to get the software to run.

another issue is that if I don't get that message, and the software is not launched on the desktop, I will see it running in the task manager. I could launch it a thousand times and i would have a thousand instances in the task manager...none of them useful. I would have to reboot in order to try again and get it working.

I think there is a big bug in there most recent release. 3.1.1

Hopefully the software engineers can fix this issue.
wirlybird

I am running it on 2 windows 7 machines and recently (maybe last 2-3 weeks) it can take forever to open. I double click the icon and let it sit and it will eventually open. I figured they have changed something on their end. It didn't used to be like this.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”