samholton

Brim Inside Perimeter

Hello,

I have recently switched over from Cura and am liking the results so far. The one difference I noticed is that in Cura, the "brim" would generate on all parts of the object. For example, if I was printing a big square with a circle/hole in the middle of it, Cura would generate brim around the outside of the circle and on the inside of the circle within the perimeter of the square. If I wanted it only on the outside of the square, I'd select "skirt" and set the offset small.

In S3D I can't find a way to generate the brim on the inside - it seems to only generate on the outer most perimeter of the model. In most cases, this is fine. But I do have some prints that require the extra support within. Consider a face plate with a large cutout for a screen. Without the brim on the inside, the inside edge of the screen lifts off the bed.

Am I missing an option somewhere? Thanks!
NickN

Re: Brim Inside Perimeter

have you figured out a solution to this?
Konky

I am surprised this has not been fixed yet.
The brim feature is so useful when 3d printing.
Rafts are ugly, destroy the surface and take ages.

Brims are almost the same, they can be removed like support and bring lots of benefits to a print, especially on ABS)
A brim should be optional on all sides of parts, especially INSIDE hollow objects.

I have objects that can not be printed without a small support section, to make this support I need a clean BRIM underneath.
Now I have to print that support on the inside ..

I had to switch to Cura to print cause simplify would only print that with a Raft, and a raft would destroy the clean bottom (I need that as well).

Please extend your brim.
I'm really missing features for simplify3d in the past year, nearly nothing of importance was added and all the old requests are still unhandled!
gearsawe

Bringing this up again. As i just ran into this problem as well. So guess I will always have to keep a second software on hand or just build a brim model into the print itself and then use a second process for the brim part.
gwhite

There is a peculiar fudge for this that I ran across by accident. If you put a very fine groove on the bottom of your object that connects the outside to any interior region where you want a brim, S3D thinks the bottom is no longer fully enclosed. It treats the interior as "outside", and it will then proceed to add a brim/skirt there. The groove that set this off on my print was quite small, and was only there as a defect I overlooked when I created the model. I suspect that anything that makes the bottom mathematically non-contiguous will work. If it gets too small, it may try to "heal" it, but it can be pretty small and inconspicuous.
gearsawe

Brilliant! Should not take more than 0.1mm gap 1 layer tall
gwhite

Just as an upper limit for what is required, I had a pair of chamfers meeting up where two structures were joined together, one 0.2 mm & one 0.25 mm. The resulting slot between inside & outside had a roughly triangular cross section, 0.44 mm across the bottom, and 0.25 mm high. My layer height was 0.2mm. I suspect it could be MUCH smaller to get the desired effect.
3dtechbrasil

We have a similar problem, and using raft seems to be the only viable way to print.

But...

We just decided to remove some columns of supports so that the software could understand that it was an open part.

That was the result!

dkightley

No images!!!
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
XoTT@6bI4

dkightley wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:09 pm No images!!!
Images are available!
3dtechbrasil wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:04 am We have a similar problem, and using raft seems to be the only viable way to print.

But...

We just decided to remove some columns of supports so that the software could understand that it was an open part.

That was the result!

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”