anthonycf

Defaults to the wrong port

I have a Mac operating a XYZ Da Vinci 1.0 over USB. I'm still a bit new to Simplify3D.

Every time I start up the 3D printer, Simplify3D defaults to the wrong serial port, and I have to manually change the port in the Machine Control Panel each time.

There are just two ports on the list. S3D defaults to /dev/cu.Blutooth-Incoming-Port, when it should be /dev/cu.usbmodem14321. I've looked around at where I can change this default but there isn't anything in Preferences or Firmware Configuration. Any ideas?
CompoundCarl

Re: Defaults to the wrong port

My Mac always automatically connects to my da Vinci. Is your printer turned on and plugged in? Do you have automatic connection disabled in your preferences?
wirlybird

I find that if I turn the printer on first before starting S3D it generally goes to the port. But I don't really care because sometimes I don't want it to connect!
anthonycf

I've done a couple of tests:

If I switch on the printer before launching S3D, S3D picks up the correct port -- usbmodem.
If I launch S3D first then switch on the printer, S3D tries to communicate over Bluetooth-Incoming-Port.

The usbmodem port isn't in the port list when the printer is switched off.
CompoundCarl

anthonycf wrote:The usbmodem port isn't in the port list when the printer is switched off.
That correct. The port will not show up unless the printer is turned on and plugged in. That's how it's supposed to work.

So if you don't have the printer turned on, or it isn't plugged in and you open S3D, it's going to have to choose another port, since the one you used last time isn't available anymore.
wirlybird

Agreed, it is going to look for an active port and take what is there so if the printer isn't on then it tries what is available. Looks like it is behaving normally.
zzjlamb

I am running a Malyan M180 from a Mac and I'm having exactly the same problem. The com port defaults to /dev/cu.Blutooth-Incoming-Port. In my case it should be /dev/cu.wchusbmodem14321.
It does it whether or not the printer is on and connected, and even after I've used Simplify with the correct port and restarted it.
Is there any way to specify the correct port as a user preference?
stephenbright

Has this been fixed at all? Any solutions ?

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”