pinthenet

Reset corrupt FFF profile

I've been working on a new profile for a Dual Extruder Velleman K8400.
When I finished yesterday it looked OK but today I can't open 'Edit Process Settings' - S3D just locks and I have to kill the task.
'Prepare to Print' works and I can add/remove models.

I exported the FFF that is currently active (attached). I also ran a diff between this and the original K8400 dualprofile but don't see anything serious.
I think my final change yesterday was the distance between tool 0 & tool 1 (-23)

How can I reset the configuration to deactivate the current profile? Any idea what could casue the hangup?
Attachments
Velleman K8400 Dual JPA - crash.fff
(22.53 KiB) Downloaded 354 times
CompoundCarl

Re: Reset corrupt FFF profile

You could try going to Help > Reset All Settings. That will clear out all the profiles and go back to stock settings. So make sure to export any you need first
pinthenet

That did the trick, thanks very much :D

I re-imported the FFF that was active when it failed and that works now. I also have a lot less profiles than before, could that be an issue?
CompoundCarl

pinthenet wrote:I also have a lot less profiles than before, could that be an issue?
I doubt it. I have more than 200 profiles on one of my computers and have never had an issue.
Innovatorator

Yeah I experienced a similar issue twice now with my MAKEiT Pro.

The first time I had to re-install and clear registry keys to get it to work again without crashing.

The second time I managed to get it working by deleting my profiles and starting over from scratch.

Now I take screenshots of all the settings pages and have all my scripts saved into a document, in case I have to nuke and pave again.

I think it is somehow tied to Dual Extrusion settings, but I'm not sure.
SusiT140V

Yes resetting the program setting does do this, and that's great, but having to export ONE profile at a time is a serious Pain in the ...

In the past I have been guilty of putting weird characters (read as: 'descriptive') in the profile and that might have caused this issue. Fair enough.
BUT, this time, there was none of that nonsense - it just bugged-out when saving a new profile. Also, this time, three profiles were totally trashed, so I KNOW it's not something I've done.
IMHO, this program is randomly trashing profiles. It really needs a less brutal way of recovering from such corruption instead of having nuke the darn thing from orbit every time it gets its knickers in a twist!

And yes, I am cheesed-off. If I had not paid good money for this program, it would be OK, but never being sure whether it will bug out on you is a big negative mark against it.
All the time I thought I'd caused the issue, that was OK too. Now it isn't!
Fix this!!

(Note: For those having no issues, I'm truly happy for you, but hearing about how wonderful your experience has been, does not fix my issues with S3D or the others also suffering from this problem)
MikeO

For what it's worth:

I've had the problem of corrupted .fff files a number of times. It seemed to me that the files got corrupted only when I opened them in the main screen to look at or change parameters *while* my printer was printing (I always print via USB, on Windows 7).

Since I've started completely avoiding touching or fiddling with the .fff files in any way while a print is in progress, I've never had the problem again, over the last year or so that I've been doing that.

It may be a random thing that I've turned into a superstition, but it seems to have worked for me.
SusiT140V

Hi MikeO,

That's great! Don't hold your breath though (I truly hope that was issue!!)

Except that I don't use a USB link to print to the FFCP. SD printing only until now. :(
It was only yesterday that I finally got around to connecting the USB cable permanently. Until now it had only been used for firmware updates via FlashPrint.

One thing I did notice after loading what I thought were 'known good' profiles back to S3D, was one profile that had the "Auto-Configure for Material" GUI element missing. It was just a blank space. I just thought it might have been a setting I tweaked somewhere so had ignored it until now.
Is this usual?
What I mean, is there a setting that can make this happen?
All I know is that after looking at that profile, as soon as I looked at another and tried to save a change - crash...

(RATS!! I wish I had screen-grabbed before deleting it now! Actually, I think I still have a copy of it , I'm not going to try reloading it until I get this current print run finished. If this is the error (in my case), I'll see if TechSupp wants to have a look at it to see what's going on)

Thanks for reporting your findings.
Susi xx
Innovatorator

And now S3D is crashing again when I try to modify FFF settings, looks like I get to re-do everything a third time :(

Also, I print off SD cards, so it has nothing to do with printing from USB in my case.
SusiT140V

Innovatorator wrote:And now S3D is crashing again when I try to modify FFF settings, looks like I get to re-do everything a third time :(

Also, I print off SD cards, so it has nothing to do with printing from USB in my case.
As others have also said, sadly one or more of your profiles is corrupt.

The best way I have found so far of identifying the corrupted profile(s), is to export each of them (sadly, one at a time!) to a directory of your choosing.
Any corrupt profiles will usually show up in that directory as being of being zero-bytes in size (or very close).
These MUST be deleted from S3D in order to get it to work reliably once again.
If you have particularly intricate and useful, but now corrupted profiles, that you cannot export - I recommend that you either write down the relevant values, or at least screen capture then to save later frustration.

If after you've exported all of the profiles (a backup is always handy after all) and deleted the damaged ones, if S3D still misbehaves, I'm afraid your only option currently is the Nuclear one - "Reset All Settings" in the Help menu.

I still find it hard to fathom why such an awesome program is so crippled by this massive piece of dumbness when it comes to profile management, and why there is no 'repair' facility.
Oh well.

If you do have to Nuke it, you *should* be OK to import the non-zero FFF profiles without incident. *SHOULD!*

Hope this helps you.
Susi xx

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”