Sockmule

S3D not controlling extruder temp

Hi. First post here, noob to the 3D printing world.

I have a monoprice select mini printer, using PLA. I've had no issues with printing until recently, when I started having connection issues via USB (takes multiple tries to get a connection) and now I'm having problems getting the software to tell the extruder to heat up. The bed heats up quickly and stabilizes. The extruder does work--it will heat up normally if I use the control panel on the printer itself. So S3D *seems* to be the issue, but I could be wrong.

The comm log shows a lot of M105 codes being sent. Right now, the printer shows the extruder at 209 (set at 210). The software shows the extruder at 28C on both the temperature plot graph and in the Accessory Control Panel, where the red "indicator light" graphic is dimmed out.

The fan speed is for some reason all the way to the left, yet the fan is spinning at a decent rate. When i first started noticing issues, I'd find the fan at 100%. I didn't set it there. I have re-done the S3D setup wizard for my printer without any luck. I've tried turning the printer on/off, re-plugged in the USB cable, tried a different USB port, restarted software, restarted printing...

Since I am a noob at this, there is very likely something very simple that I'm overlooking and just don't know enough to spot.

Anyone have any immediate thoughts?
wirlybird

Re: S3D not controlling extruder temp

See if the extruder is set to T1 instead of T0 where the temp readout is in S3D. Just a thought.
horst.w

Sockmule wrote: ....
Anyone have any immediate thoughts?

Yes.
Please attache your Factory-file here.
(File>>> Save as ... factory)
Sockmule

Extruder is identified as T0, as is the Heated Bed.
Sockmule

Thank you. I assume a factory file of whatever I'm trying to print is what I'm supposed to upload. If not, let me know.
Attachments
tube test.factory
(7.88 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
horst.w

I'm very sorry but I cann't find any abnormality.

Your settings and the g-code are ok. The only difference to a g-code of mine is a M 82-command, that's for me M83 - I must look later what that means.
Heating the bed and the extruder are M140 / M190 and M104 / M 109 with the temperature settings S60 / S210.

The sensor number T0 for both appliances has no effects for the heatbed (why ever!), it is only important the next line in this window, there must taged on "Heat Build Platform" and that is ok.

Try to print with a SD-card. When this is going well your printer is able to understand all commands in the g-code; otherwise there is a problem with your firmware, perhaps also possible a connection problem.

Your printer profil is "default", you have installed the printer well? Perhaps it is helpful to <Rest All Settings> (tab Help) and reinstall the printer with the >Configuration Assistant> (also tab Help)

horst.w, GER

PS
8.46 M82: Set extruder to absolute mode
8.47 M83: Set extruder to relative mode

I can't imagine that there is the reason but try

all codes: http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code
Sockmule

Horst,
Thank you very much for looking at the file.

I did pick up a SD adapter today and have managed to print just fine from the micro SD card. At least everything works, but it's still a puzzle to me why the USB cable(s) weren't sending the info correctly. Maybe it's just bad luck with two cables, maybe it's something else.

I've been less-than-impressed with the tech support I've gotten so far from S3D, who want to pass off the problem onto the hardware without asking a single question.
horst.w

USB-cables are very often really critical.
Use a short one and it schould be sheltered like a LAN-cable.

Mostly there is an ground-issue in the printers connector, because two electrical potentials are coming there together. No own experiances with this but often read. I print only via SD-Card and there was never a problem.

H.
wirlybird

Some things to check for USB use.

USB2 needs to be 15 feet or less. Under 10 is better if you don't know whether your device is a full speed or low speed device.
USB3 under 9.
Do not use extension cables
Check for the correct driver.
Use a USB2 port instead of a USB3.
Connect the cable directly to a motherboard port. No add in cards, hubs etc.
Make sure the port speed is set correctly in S3D. Usually won't work if it is not.
Check for a firmware update for the printer. Don't update unless the manufacturer says to though.

And the printer may just not like it!
Lowbands

I'm having similar problems trying to control the temp on a da vinci 1.0
The bed temp can be adjusted no problem but the extruder just turns off.
any ideas ?

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”