fujitsu

SOLVED - print does not match preview

Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:43 pm

happens on 3.1.0 and 3.1.1 on rostock max v2 with azteeg v3 mini. print is ok except for the ring around the base. the first few layers printed ok. print settings look ok. ideas on where to look?

thanks
Attachments
cyl.png
Last edited by fujitsu on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

kabali16

Re: print does not match preview

Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:37 pm

looks like a magnified elephant foot. Search for elephant foot 3D printing, I rmbr seeing an article on Ultimaker or some other forum
Kabali daww!!
Prusa i3 | Kossel
Simplify3D | Cura | Repetier Host | Octoprint

fujitsu

Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:30 pm

thanks, kabali. i'll try the troubleshooting steps when i'm back at the printer. i'll also export the gcode and open with a gcode viewer to see if the problem is simplify3d or the azteeg controller.

fujitsu

Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:52 am

similar result printing with a base layer with filleted edges at the interior and exterior interfaces between the cylinder and base. the gcode looks ok with an external viewer. any other ideas? i'll start investigating the controller and hardware...
Attachments
gcode.png

kabali16

Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:22 pm

Try printing different models, like cubes, triangles, scaled up and scaled down and see if this effect remains or disappears.

Does this happen when you print a solid model as well (like 60% + infill ?)
Kabali daww!!
Prusa i3 | Kossel
Simplify3D | Cura | Repetier Host | Octoprint

horst.w

Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:09 am

The area of this "elefantfoot" - the layers are compressed there? Then this zone stays to hot . May be to much infill, to hot printed, to hot heatbed, insufficient cooling, to quick printed .... or a little bit of all of them.

Please attache your FACTORY-File !

Regards
horst.w, GER

dkightley

Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:13 am

Just to add a comment to clarify something....

This issue has nothing to do with the gcode file containing erroneous data.......the issue is purely related to how the plastic is being extruded using the commands in the gcode file. Resolution of the issue will be in the settings within the profile in S3D....and not in incorrect gcode being created by the software.

This is why you have been asked to attach a factory file.....so we can look at your model AND the settings you are using. With the model and the profile used loaded in S3D and the File menu....Save Factory file.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

fujitsu

Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:10 am

project file attached. i'll try some solid prints and see what happens. the effect was much less pronounced on the petg print i tried. i went back and looked at some previous cylindrical prints and the effect is there, but veeeeerrrrrry subtle. i'm not using a fan on this...

thanks for the assist, gentlemen; it is much appreciated
Attachments
project.factory
(2.67 KiB) Downloaded 152 times

horst.w

Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:10 pm

... but the object is not included.

Your LayerHigh is very ambitious. The distance heatbed to nozzle included, you need only three layer to reach a high of one millimeter. The FirstLayer has ~ 0.45 mm.

The temperature to print for PETG (230°), heatbed (90°) and no cooling (i'm not using a fan on this... ) cause your "elefantfoot" .

I'm using also PETG (as HTGlass), recommended with 195 up to 215°, with only 205°, heatbed 70°.
PETG has comparable properties as PLA, and I must remove the inhousing of my printer to avoid damages on the print like yours. For cooling the model I prefere a moderate number ~ 50%

With an only 1 perimeter wall of 0.48 mm ExtrusionWidth but 0.3 mm LayerHigh the printed perimeter is very massiv . I'm not sure if the print-time for one layer is sufficient to cool down without fan in the bottom-area , also when the printspeed may be adjusted down by the settings of Cooling.
Try to print with moderate LayerHigh of 0.15 mm, that doesn't change anything to the ExtrusionWidth.

H.

fujitsu

Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:56 pm

thank you, horst. i'll adjust the temperatures and reinstall the fan and see how it looks and report back.

appreciate the help!

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”