blairmi2

Another toolhead offset thread

Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:20 pm

After pouring through the form and trying for a day I'm suck and could use some help!

I have a powerspec 3d pro printer that was printing dual extrusions models fine until I upgraded to sailfish 7.7 r01591 (Creator X firmware). My printer is not accounting for the offset on the left tool head and doesn't move it to "the right" to correct the positioning. I've tried the following:

1) Use repG to read the onboard preferences. The toolhead offset said 0 when i first upgraded but i noticed it now read 34mm. Tried setting to 0mm but no change. set it back to 34mm, no change
2) Checked that the S3D T1 offset was set to 34mm, tried setting to zero, no change. Set back to 34mm, no change

I did not change any offsets on the LCD screen as per the sailfish manual thats an additional offset of the default firmware offset.

You can see in the 2nd attachment what happens when i try to print a dual extrusion traffic cone. T0 starts correctly, T1 started without the proper offset, T0 resumed using relative ordinates to the wrong T1 position, then it repeated itself when it switched to T0, continuously moving further left with each T0 to T1 tool change.

Any help would be appreciated and thanks for reading.
Attachments
IMG_3772.jpg
G-Code Tab.PNG

horst.w

Re: Another toolhead offset thread

Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:59 am

First, an Offset also can be negative.

However , to calibrate the two nozzles it is the best methode to import a 2-colored object like the green / yellow frog from thingiverse.com, use the assistent for DualExtrusion and prepare to print.
In the preview you can see all reactions of the two parts and you can go back und change any value you think it is needed.

You are sure, that the mapping of the two extruders to T0= (Main) and T1 (2nd) is well done?

regards
horst.w, GER

Sorry, the frog is yellow-black ;-) http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:329436/#files

brian442

Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:04 am

99% of the time, if you just installed sailfish and you are having this problem, it means you didn't correctly restore the toolhead offsets. If you read the Sailfish documentation, they mention this a lot since it is such a common mistake.

You might want to ask this question to the Sailfish team, because if you are updating the offsets on the firmware, but not seeing any change, then something is definitely wrong (or perhaps you aren't saving/updating the offsets correctly)

blairmi2

Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:31 pm

brian442 wrote:99% of the time, if you just installed sailfish and you are having this problem, it means you didn't correctly restore the toolhead offsets. If you read the Sailfish documentation, they mention this a lot since it is such a common mistake.

You might want to ask this question to the Sailfish team, because if you are updating the offsets on the firmware, but not seeing any change, then something is definitely wrong (or perhaps you aren't saving/updating the offsets correctly)
Horst, yes my toolheads are assigned correctly, no issue there. Based on my test prints of both the frog and the traffic cone, the offset issue is isolated to T1 (left extruder).

Thanks Brian442, i've tried setting the offset both in rapG and makerbot but no luck. I'll check with the sailfish team, i'm sure i goofed up somewhere.

darcshadow

Sat May 20, 2017 12:05 am

I just updated to Sailfish 7.7 on my CTC and I'm having the same problem described here. Was a solution ever found?

darcshadow

Sat May 20, 2017 9:57 am

Figured out my problem, My slicer was using M108 as a toolhead change command when it should use M135. Fixed that and not it's all good.

wapiti59

Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:19 pm

OK - I have been trying to figure this out for two days now, and am still no where. My 2016 FFCP had Sailfish 7.8 on it when I got it, that apparently had been modified to remove a number of parameters including P-Stop (I installed Filament monitors and needed it). So, based on recommendations, I installed and fired up Replicator G, and read and recorded every single parameter in EEPROM, then installed Sailfish 7.7 successfully. EVERYTHING in EEPROM came back EXACTLY as it was before, I checked every single one - no changes were required. there is a 34 mm X Toolhead offset between the left (Tool1) and right (Tool0) extruders, and that is exactly what is set in both the Firmware, as well as the settings in my slicer/printer (Simplify 3D) - +34.00 mm. The right toolhead prints EXACTLY on center on the build platform, but the left is exactly 34mm off to the left of center, so somewhere, somehow it is NOT getting the offset. HELP!?!?!?

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”