rskennymore

Profiles and settings under the Linux version

Hello S3D users and developers,

Long story short, I'm trying to figure out why Simplify3D seems to forget everything every time I restart the application. Basically every time I start using the LaunchScript.sh script installed under /opt/Simplify3D-3.1.1 it asks for my printer model and has only the two default profiles (FFF files). I've been working around this by loading my custom FFF file through the import menu every time I want to print something but this seems a little inefficient.

I guess what I'm looking for is some documentation on how settings are managed in Simplify3D and how I can better setup my system to persist changes to settings and profiles. Is there a directory where I can keep the fff files that the system will read them? How can I convince S3D to stop asking me for my printer at startup every time?

If any other Linux users out there have already solved this problem I'd love to hear how you went about it.

Full disclosure: I'm using Arch Linux, which I know is not listed in the supported operating systems. I'm also very new to 3D printing.
brian442

Re: Profiles and settings under the Linux version

It could be a permissions issue. Make sure you use "sudo ./LaunchScript.sh" so that you have full permissions. Does it work if you run it every time with that command?
cdis6464

FWIW, in Windows, S3D stores all settings in the system registry, not on the filesystem.

Linux must have some tool to spy on system API calls (like Sysinternals' ProcMon in Windows). If so, you could use that to see what files S3D tries (and fails) to read at startup.
rskennymore

brian442 wrote:It could be a permissions issue. Make sure you use "sudo ./LaunchScript.sh" so that you have full permissions. Does it work if you run it every time with that command?
I guess I haven't actually tried that. When this print finishes or (fails miserably) I'll give that a shot.
cdis6464 wrote:FWIW, in Windows, S3D stores all settings in the system registry, not on the filesystem.

Linux must have some tool to spy on system API calls (like Sysinternals' ProcMon in Windows). If so, you could use that to see what files S3D tries (and fails) to read at startup.
strace would work for that. I guess I'll have to give that a shot. I would have expected some error or at least warning output somewhere if it was a permissions issue though. As far as I can tell there isn't even a log file being written to.
rskennymore

SOLUTION:

For anyone experiencing similar issues or who is curious where this stuff is...

In Linux the config files are typically stored under:

Code: Select all

${HOME}/.config/Simplify3D/S3D-Software.conf 
Or in my case:

Code: Select all

${HOME}/.xdg/config/Simplify3D/S3D-Software.conf
I must have screwed something up when installing because the file was owned by root.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”