Rhino_Aus

First layer movement speed reduction

Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:17 pm

Hello all!

I am trying to dial in my new printer using S3D and I am running up against an obnoxious problem that my be easily fixable with a small tweak to S3D (or maybe it already exists and someone can point out a solution for me)

When printing my first layer, I print slowly, 20% speed, in order to get good adhesion. One problem that I always seem to run into is that when the printhead has to travel to a new perimeter, such to print screw holes through the bottom of a part for example, it seemly travels at full speed which causes the start of the perimeter not to stick very well, resulting it it lifting slightly, and a lot of the time it stick to the printhead on the second pass around which causes it to pull the first perimeter off the bed, resulting is a failure.

I get this a lot with support material as well. It seems to me that the resulting in "tension" from when it starts to restick also seems to cause the corners of the infill to peel causing the infill to fail and unable to recover, but that may be unrelated.

Does anyone have any advice? I really don't want to resort to having to decrease my movement speed in general as that seems to add a lot of extra print time and the slow is only needed for the first layer.

A great way for this to be solved in software would be to allow the movement speed of the first layer to be tweaked or to add for a short dwell at the start of a new perimeter to get it started successfully.

brian442

Re: First layer movement speed reduction

Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:53 am

You could always create a second process for the first layer only, then just lower the XY rapid movement speed for that layer. This way it moves slower on the first layer, but then can be faster everywhere else.

Here's an article that explains more about how to set it up:
https://www.simplify3d.com/support/arti ... f-a-model/

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”