JustinDS89

Trouble Printing Smaller ABS

Sun May 07, 2017 3:10 pm

Hello,

I was wondering what settings or tips any of you may have when printing ABS plastic. When printing ABS mine always globs up and makes a mess as the first layer has cooled yet before the next layer is printed. When using a cooling fan though (I know it's generally not recommended) the part turns out looking good, but breaks easily and is overall weak.

Thanks,
Justin

Derrick

Re: Trouble Printing Smaller ABS

Sun May 07, 2017 3:21 pm

To help, more information may be necessary. You could link the factory file and some images/youtube vids, or share the general settings:
- ABS manufacturer and/or their recommended starting temps
- hot end temp that you're using
- print platform temp
- fan temp
- print speed

That said, based on the limited info given, it sounds like either your ABS is cooling too slowly:
- You could try printing at a lower temperature. Each ABS color will print differently, but generally I've found that 230-245C works well for most colors.
- You could lower the print platform temp to help the fresh extrudate cool faster. Depending on your substrate material, this will vary. For polycarbonate, which is what I usually use, I have it around 60C. For PEI/Kapton tape, 100-120C may be ideal. Try lowering it incrementally till the part stops sticking, then raise it back up 5 or 10C
- Print slower till you get a better handle on using ABS. Slower prints = more forgiving overall, and will help you troubleshoot.
Edit: try to minimize fan use. As you observed, the mechanical properties suffer. If you must use the fan, then keep it low, at maybe 1/4th as high as you use the fan for PLA, ie. if you use 80% fan speed for PLA, don't go higher than 20% for ABS.

OR your ABS is not sticking to the platform properly:
- Print slower
- Try a different substrate/tape material
- Level bed on-the-go. Most printers have a utility to help with bed leveling, but nothing is better than doing it while a skirt is printing.

JustinDS89

Mon May 08, 2017 12:20 pm

Not sure what you mean by factory file, but I will give the information you posted.

-Hatchbox Red ABS 210 - 240
-Using 225 (Started with 230 and tried 220, but stuck with 225)
-Platform temp is 105
-Fan speed I am currently trying with ABS is 40% (I have tried 60% and 100%)
-Print speed is currently 4000 mm/min (was using 6000 mm/min with PLA just fine)

I use AquaNet hairspray on the platform and my print stays stuck down fine.

Thanks,
Justin

wirlybird

Mon May 08, 2017 12:43 pm

What is the printer? What layer height?

Stick with 230 temp - works fine for Hatchbox. Maybe down to 220-225 for small areas. Start with a .2 layer height.
On a small part you can reduce the bed after the first layer to 95 or 90 .
Print speed is way to fast. Start around 1800 - 2000mm/min. especially on a smaller part.

No fan. If it is needed it will be at a very minimal but as a last resort.

dkightley

Mon May 08, 2017 2:14 pm

Not sure what you mean by factory file,
Load your model and print profile....then on the File dropdown menu==>Save Factory File. A file with a suffix of .factory file will be saved. This is the "factory file". Attach the file to a post in the thread using the "upload attachment",,,which is in small lettering in the bottom grey bar on the Post a Reply screen of the forum.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

Jeff_Birt

Mon May 08, 2017 2:19 pm

JustinDS89 wrote:Not sure what you mean by factory file, but I will give the information you posted.
I know someone replaying with RTFM might seem rude and I'm not trying to be rude. I started with S3D recently and found the video they made very helpful. In fact the whole support page has been helpful to me, the quality guide with photos has also been of great benefit: https://www.simplify3d.com/support/ .

JustinDS89

Mon May 08, 2017 2:41 pm

wirlybird wrote:What is the printer? What layer height?

Stick with 230 temp - works fine for Hatchbox. Maybe down to 220-225 for small areas. Start with a .2 layer height.
On a small part you can reduce the bed after the first layer to 95 or 90 .
Print speed is way to fast. Start around 1800 - 2000mm/min. especially on a smaller part.

No fan. If it is needed it will be at a very minimal but as a last resort.
Okay, I will go back to trying 230. I'm using a Flashforge Dreamer with a layer height of .1 mm. I will try increasing this to .2 though.

I will also try slowing this down more as suggested.

Thanks!

JustinDS89

Mon May 08, 2017 2:42 pm

dkightley wrote:
Not sure what you mean by factory file,
Load your model and print profile....then on the File dropdown menu==>Save Factory File. A file with a suffix of .factory file will be saved. This is the "factory file". Attach the file to a post in the thread using the "upload attachment",,,which is in small lettering in the bottom grey bar on the Post a Reply screen of the forum.
Ah okay, I will load this later this evening for anyone who needs it.

JustinDS89

Mon May 08, 2017 2:43 pm

Jeff_Birt wrote:
JustinDS89 wrote:Not sure what you mean by factory file, but I will give the information you posted.
I know someone replaying with RTFM might seem rude and I'm not trying to be rude. I started with S3D recently and found the video they made very helpful. In fact the whole support page has been helpful to me, the quality guide with photos has also been of great benefit: https://www.simplify3d.com/support/ .
Not a problem. Appreciate the response and I will look into it. I just haven't seen the mention of factory file before.

JustinDS89

Mon May 08, 2017 2:49 pm

Here is the factory file attached for of the pieces in particular I'm attempting to print.
Attachments
40mm Fan Grill v2.factory
(129.64 KiB) Downloaded 77 times

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”