dkightley

Re: Trouble Printing Smaller ABS

Am I correct that the issue is worst...or only...on the three concentric rings on this fan cover??

If so, drop the first layer width down to 100%.

I think these rings are a tad too narrow in section to print correctly with a first layer width of 125%.

Once again.....a thin wall issue! The slicer has a "can't print, won't print" feature!!
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
Derrick

JustinDS89 wrote:Here is the factory file attached for of the pieces in particular I'm attempting to print.
Much better.
I have determined your problem. You are simply squirting too much material into the part. You can't use 100% infill unless you've absolutely done a perfect job on calibration with both your printer and that specific spool of material.

- Try lowering extrusion multiplier to ~96% in the "Extruder" tab.
- Lower infill to 30% or 50%. Note: almost your entire part is made up of walls, so there's really no need for infill on this part, anyway.
- Decrease fan speed to 0.
- Decrease speed to 1400-1800. This is a very small part. Normally on larger parts, by the time you've printed the entire <large> layer, the beginning of the layer is well-cooled and hardened. For this small part, you should print slower to accomplish this.
- You can do layer height of 0.15 mm on this and still get good res on the two shaped pins.

Good luck!
JustinDS89

dkightley wrote:Am I correct that the issue is worst...or only...on the three concentric rings on this fan cover??

If so, drop the first layer width down to 100%.

I think these rings are a tad too narrow in section to print correctly with a first layer width of 125%.

Once again.....a thin wall issue! The slicer has a "can't print, won't print" feature!!
I have actually been able to get this to properly print following some previous suggestions. I slowed my print down and lowered the fan to 20%. The parts come out looking great, but still appear to be durable.

I have had problems with thin walls in the past though as you mentioned, but that wasn't the case with this. I had a real problem with the melting on the pegs sticking up.

Thanks!
JustinDS89

Derrick wrote:
JustinDS89 wrote:Here is the factory file attached for of the pieces in particular I'm attempting to print.
Much better.
I have determined your problem. You are simply squirting too much material into the part. You can't use 100% infill unless you've absolutely done a perfect job on calibration with both your printer and that specific spool of material.

- Try lowering extrusion multiplier to ~96% in the "Extruder" tab.
- Lower infill to 30% or 50%. Note: almost your entire part is made up of walls, so there's really no need for infill on this part, anyway.
- Decrease fan speed to 0.
- Decrease speed to 1400-1800. This is a very small part. Normally on larger parts, by the time you've printed the entire <large> layer, the beginning of the layer is well-cooled and hardened. For this small part, you should print slower to accomplish this.
- You can do layer height of 0.15 mm on this and still get good res on the two shaped pins.

Good luck!
Thank you very much for the suggestions. I have been able to get this to print successfully with a lower print speed as suggested and I turned the fan down to 20%. I will try to print my next item without a fan and see if I can get it to print properly. The part with the fan only at 20% though seems to be in good condition and durable.

The part before with the fan 60% to 100% was brittle and came apart easily.
JustinDS89

I take that back haha. I have printed various small parts with 20% fan speed and they turn out okay (not real smooth), but are brittle. I can't seem to get anything to look decent without using a fan. I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks,

Justin

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”