Florian-HH

Details of layers

Tue May 16, 2017 11:07 am

Hello,

I have a problem with the astronaut http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:653030 that doesn't look very well.

The model is missing details on the visor as well as on the buttons and hands.

Here is an image of the slices model - i marked the parts where the finished model has problems:
astronaut_details_missing.png
I see two problems that I need to resolve but perhaps you see more ;)
1. As you can see the visor has little top layers, perhaps they need to be increased but how?
2. The retraction points seem to be at the points where I need details

The details of the upper part of the model are good. The following image shows the problematic area and the non-problematic area:
astronaut_Layer_speed.png
Decreasing the printing speed could be a solution but there must be another solution because 50mm/sec are not that fast, right?

Some details:
My printer: Mecreator2
Layer height: 0,1mm
Material: White PLA 1.75 mm
Speed: 50mm/sec

Hopefully someone could help me!

Best
Florian

brian442

Re: Details of layers

Tue May 16, 2017 11:58 am

Did you try running the repair checks in simplify3d? See if it finds non-manifold or self-intersecting surfaces. If it does, then you will need to repair the model first before printing it.

3Dchill

Tue May 16, 2017 2:23 pm

For me 50mm/s is what I use for a mid-fast print, if I want quality I go down to 40 or less which usually does not prolong printing time by that much. To have the tips of the fingers and top of the helmet nicer I'd go to 0.06mm layer height. Also don't go too high with the temperature, for PLA I use 195.

dkightley

Tue May 16, 2017 2:53 pm

You've not stated whether or not you have actually printed this model yet.....and I believe you're raising issues based purely on the print preview view.

If so, please humour me.....

In the profile, temporarily turn off retraction and coasting. Then go to the print preview and unclick the Retractions tick box.

Now take another look at the detail. Do you have all the fingers drawn? And the detail on the visor?

If not, please attach the factory file for your model....File menu==>Save factory File.

If the detail is there, then put retraction & coasting back on and print....
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

Florian-HH

Wed May 17, 2017 1:29 pm

Thanks for your replies!

@brian442: Yes, the repair checks found some issues but not regarding the problematic areas

@3Dchill: I will slow down to 40mm and give it a try! Regarding the layer height: Is there a possibility to define the layer height for specific parts of the model or should I create various processes?

@dkightley: Yes, I already printed the model... and painted it :) I turned temporarily off retraction and coasting settings and unclicked the Retractions tick box. All fingers are drawn but on the top of the fingers I can see the different layers like on the visor. It seems that the solution isn't high enough there:
astronaut_details_top.png
I can't upload the factory file because the image size exceeds the 3MB limit(5.70MB).

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”