yonkiman

Still confused about retraction

Mon May 22, 2017 4:46 pm

I'm trying to get S3D to not retract unnecessarily. For example, if I have "Minimum travel for retraction" = 1mm, why does S3D retract when going from one perimeter to the next adjacent one? If I'm printing 3 perimeters, it retracts when finishing 1 and starting 2 (even though they are next to each other and the start and stop points are about 0.4mm apart) and again when finishing 2 and starting 3?

I'm experimenting with wiping, and am trying to get it to wipe during retraction. When I watch it print, I see it wiping (I set it to 15mm to make sure it was visible), but it's stopped retracting - the extruder motor just stops while wiping, it doesn't retract. When did triggering wiping become disconnected from triggering retraction?

And just to make sure we're all on the same page, can you precisely define "open spaces" and "outline" (as used in "Avoid crossing outline for travel movements")?

Every time I try to change one aspect of retraction/wiping behavior, it seems like it causes some other aspect to behave differently/unexpectedly. All I want is for my gcode to retract with wipe when the nozzle needs to go from point A to point B (when |A-B| > "Minimum travel for retraction") and NOT retract or wipe when |A-B| < "Minimum travel for retraction". But I can't seem to make that happen...

I don't know if there are bugs in this section of the code or not, but I feel like at the least S3D should have an article dedicated to retraction and wiping that goes into deep, deep detail on what each setting does, how the settings interact with each other, what bugs there are (if any), settings for common scenarios (like the one I describe above), and common mistakes/misunderstandings.

MasterFX

Re: Still confused about retraction

Tue May 23, 2017 2:53 pm

yonkiman wrote:I'm trying to get S3D to not retract unnecessarily. For example, if I have "Minimum travel for retraction" = 1mm, why does S3D retract when going from one perimeter to the next adjacent one? If I'm printing 3 perimeters, it retracts when finishing 1 and starting 2 (even though they are next to each other and the start and stop points are about 0.4mm apart) and again when finishing 2 and starting 3?
I just tried it, and I have only 1 retraction for inner start, outer end and start infill
retraction.png

yonkiman

Wed May 24, 2017 12:52 pm

Dang - you're right. I was trying so many things I guess I got further confused. Will re-look at my issues more carefully.

carnufex

Wed May 24, 2017 2:22 pm

MasterFX wrote:
yonkiman wrote:I'm trying to get S3D to not retract unnecessarily. For example, if I have "Minimum travel for retraction" = 1mm, why does S3D retract when going from one perimeter to the next adjacent one? If I'm printing 3 perimeters, it retracts when finishing 1 and starting 2 (even though they are next to each other and the start and stop points are about 0.4mm apart) and again when finishing 2 and starting 3?
I just tried it, and I have only 1 retraction for inner start, outer end and start infill
retraction.png
Can you explain to me how you accomplished this. I, too, am having difficulties getting retraction to do what I want. Is there an article on retraction?

MasterFX

Wed May 24, 2017 3:22 pm

Well I only set the "Minimum travel for retraction" to 1mm". And if you want you can turn off the "force retraction between layers"
S3D just do what you say

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”