PW_HOU

S3D not exporting cooling fan command

I'm running a Prusa i3 MK2 and the cooling fan is not coming on when it's supposed to. I've got the cooling settings per layer set as follows:
Layer 1 0
Layer 2 100

If I save the .gcode file to disk and open it to check, there is no M106 (fan on) command where Layer 2 starts.

When I run the print as is, the cooling fan never comes on. If I manually add the command M106 S255 (fan on at 100% speed) at the begining of Layer 2, the cooling fan starts up when it's supposed to without any problems.

What am I missing here?
brian442

Re: S3D not exporting cooling fan command

It works fine for me using the stock Mk2 profile. Maybe try re-downloading the profile in case you changed something accidentally (go back to help > config assistant)? The stock profile actually already has a fan speed of 0% for layer 1 and 100% for layer 2, so if you don't make any other changes, just slice and export the gcode file, it already works correctly (I checked and mine had a M106 S0 and M106 S255 at layer 1 and layer 2, just like I would expect).
wirlybird

When mine did this I had to do a complete reset on S3D and new profiles.
You could set the fan in the cooling tab any way you wanted and it wouldn't work. The lines were missing from the gcode.

The interesting part is it did it on two installations of S3D on two different computers at the same time. Leads me to believe S3D did an update or some glitch came from them.

I could delete and reload the FFF I was using (that had worked since last fall) and it wouldn't work. A reset was the only thing that worked.
PW_HOU

Thanks everybody. I was using the profile provided by prusa3d assuming they would have everything worked out for their machines. As it turns out the stock S3D profile does produce the M106 code so I'm just going to have to start over with modifying it to the point I had the other one.

Thanks for the help!
wirlybird

The one from Prusa works fine but you need to reset S3D. I had the exact issue and still use the RC4 to this day.

Also make sure to re download it.
nuggetz

Why is this still a problem in 2017? I hope S3D goes out of business. This is BS. I shouldn't have to reset my profiles to fix this issue. This ruined a 18 hour print for me and I'm so mad right now.
rrdavis

I don't think there are any known problems with this, so there isn't anything to fix!

The only 2 people I have seen who had this issue both made changes to the profile that S3D provided to tell it to use a different firmware configuration. Different firmwares use different fan speed commands, so if you edit those settings you can easily cause this problem.

So either don't change the firmware options in the profile that S3D already provides, or make sure your new firmware settings have the correct fan speed commands

If you're still having trouble, feel free to post your FFF file and it should be easy to see what is wrong
wirlybird

rrdavis wrote:I don't think there are any known problems with this, so there isn't anything to fix!

The only 2 people I have seen who had this issue both made changes to the profile that S3D provided to tell it to use a different firmware configuration. Different firmwares use different fan speed commands, so if you edit those settings you can easily cause this problem.

So either don't change the firmware options in the profile that S3D already provides, or make sure your new firmware settings have the correct fan speed commands

If you're still having trouble, feel free to post your FFF file and it should be easy to see what is wrong

I don't know who the "2 People" are you have seen but I have had this issue for over a year. I have NOT changed the firmware configuration.

The S3D profile works ok for a month or so then it stops inserting the M106 line for the fan. Now, recently it has changed to where it inserts M126 instead of M106.
I have communicated this to S3D several times and the response I get is "you have changed the profile" to which I respond "no I have not". And that is where it still sits.
dkightley

This is crazy! Lets apply a bit of plain old logic..........

The software generates the command for switching the fan on and off YES or NO?

If No....there's a bug in the software!
If Yes....then its down to the settings for the firmware in the profile.

Do the values set in the profile for the firmware configured to be used get applied into the gcode....YES or NO?

Are the correct gcode commands set in the firmware profile being used in S3D (either M106 or M126/M127)..YES or NO?

if No...then correct, and if you are certain you are using the latest settings supplied by S3D then email them & advise their profile is wrong.
If Yes...hopefully the fan will be under control.

My guess is that the answers to Q1 & Q2 are YES....but I'm unsure about Q3. A typo by someone, perhaps!
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
wirlybird

dkightley wrote:This is crazy! Lets apply a bit of plain old logic..........

The software generates the command for switching the fan on and off YES or NO?

Do the values set in the profile for the firmware configured to be used get applied into the gcode....YES or NO?

Are the correct gcode commands set in the firmware profile being used in S3D (either M106 or M126/M127)..YES or NO?

if No...then correct, and if you are certain you are using the latest settings supplied by S3D then email them & advise their profile is wrong.
If Yes...hopefully the fan will be under control.

My guess is that the answers to Q1 & Q2 are YES....but I'm unsure about Q3. A typo by someone, perhaps!
Here are my responses based on my experience over the past year with Ver 3 & 4. As a note, the Prusa MK2 is the only printer I have this issue with. Other printers that are also set up in S3D have not show this anomaly:

Q: The software generates the command for switching the fan on and off YES or NO?
A: It works for a period of time such as a month or so then stops. Search for M106 and it is missing but search an earlier gcode file and it is there.
The most recent occurrence has it inserting M126 S255 rather than M106 S255.

Q: Do the values set in the profile for the firmware configured to be used get applied into the gcode....YES or NO?
A: Same as above. The proper fan control line is inserted but after some time goes by it is no longer inserted. I will look at the firmware setting to verify.

Q: Are the correct gcode commands set in the firmware profile being used in S3D (either M106 or M126/M127)..YES or NO?
A: Similar to above again! It was inserting M106 S255 then it changed to M126 S255. Not sure why it would even use M126/M127 unless a particular firmware required that instead of the standard M106.

It is for sure a really odd issue and most likely has a simple explanation but I have not found it yet. Sometimes all it takes to fix it is deleting the lines from the cooling tab such as 1 > 0, 2 > 100 but this doesn't always work.
The usual fix is to purge the profile for the printer and reload it from the S3D list whereupon it will work again for a while but the same behavior will eventually resume!!
It seems that over time something corrupts the profile.

I have been in contact with S3D and we are trying to figure it out. They keep saying that I am modifying the profile and that is the problem but I am not changing anything except the usual items such as layer thickness, top/bottom layer count, temps, speeds etc. They have told me I need to just leave the settings at their defaults and not change anything since their settings are best for prints.

I wonder if one of my other printer's profiles is somehow interfering or changing something. Sure is a mystery at this point!!

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”