Kidogo

XYZPrinting Davinci Pro 1.0 WiFi troubles

Hi!

I've been trying and searching endlessly, just supposing the fault was at my end, but I'm pretty convinced by now that it's not.

I am trying to get S3D to print directly to my Davinci Pro 1.0 via WiFi, absolutely tired of needing to export G-code, loading it into XYZWare and sending it via WiFi through there.

I checked the "Search for printers on local network" option in the Network tab of the General Options dialog in S3D. At the same time I am perfectly able to connect to the printer via WiFi with XYZWare and I can ping it's IP address so it's most definately NOT a networking issue.

I have reset printer, PC and router numerous times. Simplify3D is added as allowed application to the Windows Firewall on both public and private networks.

S3D never shows the printer connected, unless I use the USB cord.

Now, I have several questions:

1. Is there a logfile within S3D where I can see what the network component of the program is doing and how it is trying to discover my printer?
2. Can I ask for a better device overview to be included in the next update of S3D?
3. What else can I do to get S3D wirelessly connected to the Davinci Pro?

Version info:
S3D: 3.1.1
Pro System Version: 1.3.3
Pro Wireless Version: 5.1.5
PC OS: Windows 10 Home
brian442

Re: XYZPrinting Davinci Pro 1.0 WiFi troubles

I use wifi printing from S3D to my XYZ 1.0 Pro quite frequently, so it seems to work fine for me. Have you tried resetting the printer and then re-joining the wifi network? You may also want to make sure XYZ is not running, since it may otherwise interfere with S3D trying to connect to the machine.

Anything else about your network that may be odd since this seems to be working fine for most other people?
Kidogo

brian442 wrote:I use wifi printing from S3D to my XYZ 1.0 Pro quite frequently, so it seems to work fine for me. Have you tried resetting the printer and then re-joining the wifi network? You may also want to make sure XYZ is not running, since it may otherwise interfere with S3D trying to connect to the machine.

Anything else about your network that may be odd since this seems to be working fine for most other people?
Hey brian442, thanks for your reply!

I've tried about everything by now. Reset the printer to factory, giving it a fixed IP via it's MAC address on my router etc. Nothing odd about my network, just plain and simple home network with router with integrated wifi. So can you imagine how I am absolutely puzzled that this does not work?

And I dont have XYZware running simultaniously.
brian442

I actually have several other friends with the same printer who have all been able to use the wifi printing without any issues in S3D, so not sure why your results would be any different unless there is something odd with the printer or network...
Kidogo

Hi Brian,

Although the fact that several of your friends use it without any issues doesn't help my particular case much, I appreciate the comment.

Let me get this right; if and when S3D "sees" my printer, in the printer control panel it should show "connected" right? Thing is, it just doesn't show connected and as soon as I hit connect it tells me the port is invalid (since it would try to connect via COM/USB). Is there any additional driver or subsystem I need to install to get this to run?

Would you be willing to post a screenshot of how your printer control panel looks whilst connected via WiFi? Thanks, I appreciate your time and effort!
brian442

When you click "Refresh" in the machine control panel, it will add an entry in the port list that says "Network Device XXX/XXXXX" or something along those lines once it finds the printer. You have to select that entry and then you can hit connect.

Also, some of the XYZ firmwares are notoriously bad and had lots of bugs and issues with wifi, so you might also want to check and make sure you are using the latest firmware for your printer
Kidogo

Hi Brian, thanks for sticking in there with me. Are you BTW "The 3D Print Creator", the one and only? ;)

Anyways, as you can see in my first post of this thread, all is at it's latest version. In the printer control panel I've never seen "network device" or anything similar appear in the port list.

I wonder whether possibly something like a network broadcast is done to discover the printer, or that an IP-scan is being performed by S3D. I need to get some network sniffing done to figure out why this is failing.

I am thinking maybe the printer is on the 2.4GHz radio and my computer on the 5GHz, and although the same SSID and Access Point, they might not be able to interact. I'll have a look into that.

Thanks!
wolfkabal

I was running into similar issues on my "basic" network.

Amazingly as I decided to dig in and try and figure out how the Davici Pro was communicating (using Wireshark to diagnose the network connection issues) - it suddenly worked. Here's the steps I took.

To diagnose I started up XYZware and began monitoring network traffic so that I could pinpoint the communication between XYZware and the printer itself. For whatever reason, I've always had some issues where I have to reset the printer itself even though the IP is the same because XYZware doesn't want to communicate, I blame the software, not the network. Anyways I'm at a point where XYZ is attempting to scan for the printer. I opt for the IP direct option and enter it.

I also had Simplify3D open and the Control Panel open at the same time. As soon as the "Successful Connection" popped up in XYZ, I saw that Simplify3D suddenly connected. So I'm guessing Simplify is relaying off of some other connection protocol in the background.

An option I would suggest, is try to force the reconnect from XYZ while you have S3D open (might require you to turn off the printer, and try and print to it while it's off to force the IP dialog box open). Once here have both open, and then successfully connect (power on the printer).

For details it looks like the printer listens in on port 9100, and the software will use a dynamic port coming from the PC (something above 50000) [mine was 53120]

I've since closed XYZware, closed S3d, and re-opend S3d and it reconnected fine. I had been battling this for some time today and came across this post during my research, hopefully this might help you or others as well.
Beech76

I have exactly the same problem. I can print with xyz pro over wifi but not with simlify3d. I am able to ping the printer. I am using the latest drivers (Jan 3 2018)
Nothing happens when you click refresh on the control panel. I have had a look with Wireshark and can see packets coming from the printer but nothing going out. I clicked refresh from the control panel and see very little identifiable activity from simlify3d ( could just be my abilitiy :) ) I will do some more testing with Xyz software and wireshark for comparison of the signalling.
Version info:
S3D: 4.0.1
Pro 3 in 1 System Version: 1.3.8
Pro Wireless Version: 5.1.5
PC OS: Windows 10 Home
Beech76

Problem solved. Open Windows defender firewall and scroll down to the simplify 3D app there maybe 2 lines. Ensure all lines and tick boxes are selected to enable internal and external connections. Save and restart the computer. It should go well after that.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”