JustinDS89

Printer Stops Extruding Particular Model

Hello,

I have recently been having trouble printing a specific model. It just stops extruding about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through the print. I have tried 2 other models which worked fine and one of them takes even more time to print than the model that is having issues.

I have tested and the the extruder is able to pull the filament through my grip so I know it isn't slipping once it gets tight on the spool.

Any ideas what may be causing this or how to fix the model in question? I Have tried re-slicing the model and exporting a new STL file.

Here is a link to the STL if that helps.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9yj4 ... ndKQ2ZpX2s

Thanks,
Justin
brian442

Re: Printer Stops Extruding Particular Model

I would start by reading some of the ideas posted here:
https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... e-of-print
wirlybird

I haven't looked at your STL but have you tried running it through a fixer to see if there are any issues with it? If this model has issues and others don't then the model would be my first suspect.
JustinDS89

brian442 wrote:I would start by reading some of the ideas posted here:
https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... e-of-print
I believe I have read through that before, but I will definitely check it out again.

Thanks!
JustinDS89

wirlybird wrote:I haven't looked at your STL but have you tried running it through a fixer to see if there are any issues with it? If this model has issues and others don't then the model would be my first suspect.
I have ran it through Autodesk Netfabb and I believe everything looked fine.

I have however found out that it started happening on another model which caused me to look into this more. I took my printer apart and found that a PTFE tube used to guide the filament after it passes through the gear was deformed and it appears that it was causing the filament to kind of catch on it. I replaced the tube and printed a model successfully that previously failed on me three times.

I will of course have to do further testing to make sure it is in fact working properly now.

Appreciate the response!
wirlybird

Sounds good. What temps have you been running? What printer is it? The PTFE tube has a limit on the temps it can handle.
JustinDS89

wirlybird wrote:Sounds good. What temps have you been running? What printer is it? The PTFE tube has a limit on the temps it can handle.
I have been running lately 215 and 220 temps. Been printing with TPU and PLA mainly and ABS in the past. Right, the part of the PTFE tube that was deformed though was the end that is away from the heating block. Not really sure how that happened, but I don't believe it was due to heat.

BTW I have the Flexion extruder upgrade if you are familiar with it. It has a PTFE tube between the heating block and the gear to direct the filament where as the stock extruder assembly does not have one there I don't think.

Justin
wirlybird

Ok, I know it. Yes have a few of them. Yea it probably just got crunched at some point.
JustinDS89

wirlybird wrote:Ok, I know it. Yes have a few of them. Yea it probably just got crunched at some point.
Oh okay. Yeah didn't think about that being the issue initially.

Thanks for the help though and I will post back if I continue to have problems, but I think it is going to be good now.
RoboDLC

Here is one more thing you can check.
I had several prints that simply "stopped". In the most recent cases I was printing ABS and had breeze walls set up around the printer. The heaters were still running, but the software was not responding and the end effector would not move. After the second time this happened I tried to home the printer, the steppers groaned and buzzed.

<cut to the chase>
The stepper drivers were overheating and going into thermal shutdown. I put a 40mm fan on the bottom of my Kossel delta machine blowing over the RAMPS 1.4 board. I then cut inflow ducts in the bottom of my breeze walls. Now the problem has gone away.

I needed to do these steps after I tried the "turn off power saving mode" on USB ports didn't save the prints.

If nothing else works, this cooling the board may do the trick.

DLC
D. Clark
Robotics and sensors engineer
And lots of other stuff for fun.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”