horst.w

Re: Freeze for few seconds middle of printing

KDan wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:49 pm
I think we all know exactly what a factory file is
... fatal error !

It seems you havn't read more than 3 threads in this forum.

The installation of a new version (here 4.0.x) doesn't overwrite elder versions. They are only not linked to the user.
Have a look to Windows folder Program >>> Simplify. All elder versions are useable by double-click to the simplify3d.exe-file

Regards
horst.w
GER
Versions.png
Versions.png (16.23 KiB) Viewed 4901 times
dot_exe.png
dot_exe.png (10.15 KiB) Viewed 4901 times
KDan

horst.w wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:22 pm
KDan wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:49 pm
I think we all know exactly what a factory file is
... fatal error !

It seems you havn't read more than 3 threads in this forum.

The installation of a new version (here 4.0.x) doesn't overwrite elder versions. They are only not linked to the user.
Have a look to Windows folder Program >>> Simplify. All elder versions are useable by double-click to the simplify3d.exe-file

Regards
horst.w
GER

Versions.png
dot_exe.png
Excuse me, but I've read a h*ll of a lot more than 3 threads in this forum! :roll:
I don't leave old versions of my applications sitting on my hard drive if I believe I will no longer use them. When I install a new version I uninstall the older version once that I confirm that the new one runs. I was/am well aware that installing a newer version doesn't overwrite the older version. I rather like that because it gives me control over when the older version gets uninstalled.
AndersE

I don't know what you are getting at, but i have written a lot about it.

Velleman K8200 with a ramps 1.4 and a lcd. Windows 7 home 64bit, 12Gb memory, I5 cpu, printing over USB, have done for years without problem up till S3D V4.0.
With v4.0 and 4.01, pauses randomly on all prints. Never the same spot what i can gather. about 200-1sec. If going back to 3.1.1 NEVER pauses whatsoever on any print.

Homebuilt delta with smootieboard and smootihie firmware on ANOTHER computer ALSO running Win 7 home 64bit, core2duo with 8Gb memory, also printing via USB.
With 4.0 and 4.01 pauses 200ms to 1sec, ALSO randomly on EVERY print. If i print with 3.1.1, NEVER any pauses.

Both machines have NO GAMES or other junk installed but webbrowser, blender and netfabb.

so you are STILL saying it is my USB it is wrong with?

dkightley wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:46 pm Okay.....this is getting like a bloody pantomime! "There's a bug!" "No there isn't" "Oh yes there is!"

From what has been said on more than one thread....there must be something going wrong. And nobody is providing any useful diagnostic information to allow the dev guys at S3D to investigate whether or not there is an issue in S3D.

So.....let's stop the dramatics...and document where there is a printing problem, and where printing is okay!

For starters.....

Makerbot Rep2 on Windows 10....printing to USB - never has been an issue.......printing direct - pauses started couple of years ago at Win10 upgrade. Stopped printing direct & have never tried since.

Next.......
KDan

I understand that Simplify 3D would like to have diagnostic information, but I'm not sure how I can provide them with anything more than what I've already sent. I sent them a cut-and-paste of the communication window when a pause occurred. There were no errors or anything unusual. It just stopped sending G-code. I also sent them a .factory file as requested, even though the problem happens on every part with any material settings on V4.0. On earlier versions - never.
I ran an old 3.02 version for several hours over the weekend and it ran flawlessly. When running V4.0 on the same machine with the exactly the same part and the exact same slicing parameters it pauses erratically just about every print. I'm running Windows 7.

It seems that Simplify 3D support is going to ignore this problem until one of their users can provide them with a setup that will reproduce the problem 100% of the time on their hardware. That seems like a difficult thing to do, and it really should not be our responsibility.
cmarko

The majority of this problem is caused by a feed rate of zero. I don't know what causes it but I have plenty of files that have to be tweaked in order to slice correctly.
G1 E0.0000 F1200
G92 E0
G92 E0
G1 X-29.501 Y-41.776 E-2.5000 F0
G1 Z1.620 F9000
G1 X-34.040 Y-51.491 F9000
G1 Z1.420 F9000
G1 E0.0000 F1200
G92 E0
G92 E0
G1 X-34.040 Y-51.491 E-2.5000 F0
G1 Z1.620 F9000
; infill
G1 X-22.248 Y-37.876 F9000
G1 Z1.420 F9000
This code came from a file with 17 feed rate errors and was the most extreme case. When my printers started failing half way through the print I started looking at over-heating or a problem with the firmware / controller board. In testing the same file on multiple machines it was easy to rule out those issues and start looking at simplify for the cause.

Granted, there are many things that can cause a stalled print.... usb communication issues, hardware issues, controller... etc... I accept that there are more causes to this problem, but if you're running Simplify 4.0, do a search in your resultant gcode files for "F0". If you find one, change the layer thickness by +-0.01 and re-slice. Another option is to change your nozzle diameter by +-0.01 and re-slice. This will often (not always) remove the "F0's" in your files. It is a crude work-around work-around for the short term.

One other option (and I do not recommend it) is to use a script in the terminal command dialog box. By placing this code {REPLACE "F0" "F20"} including the brackets, in the "Additional terminal commands for post processing" you can find and replace the problematic F0. I do not like this fix because there is no way to know if the substitute feed rate is appropriate for the feature in question.

For more information on post processing scripts:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1959
Conundrum68

Want to bump this thread as well. Same issues of pausing after 4.0 install.

Makergear M2 Rev E.
Win7/64
Lenovo Core2Duo

Watching Task Manager, the CPU usage for S3D process drops to ZERO for the duration of the micro-pause.
No other processes rise up to higher CPU usage during the micro-pause.
neilr

I apparently am one of the few that continue to use version 3, and it's only because version 4 has this momentary freeze problem when talking through USB. The problem happens reliably, but always at different points in the print. Version 3 (on the SAME machines) never does this.

So I'm stuck at version 3. No big deal, I like the product. Sad though that this has never been addressed nor even admitted to by the maker. In fact I don't recall ever seeing them respond to this in this forum (maybe I missed it?).

I guess the world has gone away from real-time USB operations, but I still prefer it with the controls and status monitoring. I've also been able to tame Windows 10 so that it doesn't update in the middle of a job. As I sit here I'm running two jobs simultaneously on two printers while I type into this forum. Never a hiccup. Version 3, of course.
Conundrum68

A little extra information: It seems to happen more often on files where there is a lot of circular geometry. Line a cone, for example.
Any traction on this issue?
airscapes

Does not happen running linux.. Octopi on a Raspberry pi fixes this and allows remote access.. wouldn't leave home without it!
S3D-Jake

I’m happy to state that this issue should be resolved now in the latest 4.1.0 release. Our team successfully tested many factory files from threads mentioning this issue. The software will no longer assign any zero speed movements when slicing. This was just one of many improvements to the software. All of which are detailed on our Release Notes page.

Thank you for your help reporting this issue!
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”