C_Birch81

Build time still way out

Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:34 pm

The build time in the software if still way out, next to the real print time, eg if software says 6 hours, really it ends up being over 8 hours, for bigger builds this can make the time really far out.

gregspruce

Re: Build time still way out

Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:30 am

If we could control accelerations and jerk settings in S3D, we might be able to get better print estimates. But until then, for time estimates, I use http://www.gcodeanalyser.com/ and a lot of people use http://gcode.ws/

LingHunXi

Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:08 am

I have the same issue.
S3D uses defaults for Acceleration and Jerk that are higher than your printer's settings. So it calculates print times faster than your printer can accelerate and change direction.
Afaik, there is no way to adjust those values in S3D to match your printer.
I just estimate and additional 20-30% longer print times based on complexity of the print and amount of travel moves.

C_Birch81

Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:50 am

What i have personally started to do is load the model in flashprint (I have a flashforge dreamer) see what time that says (using same settings) and then load and print from S3D.

It's a shame that the printer profiles don't take them speeds into account and its something i was hopeful that version 4 would have fixed.

jfkansas

Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:05 am

What if the end user changes "them" speeds?

There are hundreds of printers also, them speeds would need to be figured out for all.

I'd rather S3D spend time adding useful features that matter and fixing bugs.

arhi

Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:20 am

I made a small c app that reads g-code and calculates the time it takes to print. with my smoothieware printers it's spot on (can't account for homing, waiting for temperature etc.. but the "print part" it is accurate inside a minute per my measurements so far). it's not finished (kinda "works for me stage" as it ignores acceleration and jerk settings for Z axis (treat it as XY) and completely ignores E axis (assumes printer will not slow down 'cause your extruder can't follow). Acceleration part is compatible with both marlin and smoothieware but jerk is only smoothieware compatible (no clue how marlin calculates corner speeds) .. if anyone interested I can share .. it was a "1hour project" some years ago that was stopped after 1hour ... can be tweaked a lot if one have time, code should probbly be reorganized and reusable parts grouped but .. it works as is :D
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”