DrBoo

Innocuous slicer bug

I have been using S3D for a few years now.
I've recently become aware of a slicer 'bug' that does not affect the final result, but does result in some difficulty printing objects.

Consider a surface with recessed text. The text, say, about 1mm deep, and not terribly big. Perhaps 1cm letter height (and again, z-depth 1mm).

If I represent text by "T" and a solid layer (no text) by "#' then the final few (uppermost) layers on the object are sliced thus (uppermost to the right):

###T##TTT

See the two solid layers there just after the very first text-including layer? That lowest text layer is erroneous and should not be there. This is a consistent bug in S3D. It's a problem because if I represent sparse infill by "X" then you get an object like this...

###XXXXXXXXXXXT##TTT

That is, three solid layers on the bottom (OK) then a number of infill layers (OK), but then the fiddly text outline tries to print on the sparse infill, and of course it has nothing to stick to so it becomes a globby mess, and THEN there are two solid layers on top of that (OK) and then the text layers on top of that (OK).

The bug/error is that "too low" and isolated text layer below the two solid layers. Consistent bug, easy to reproduce with appropriate model.

Hope this makes sense!

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”