AB_Normal

Models float in air after using Variable Settings Wizard

I created a file in Rhinoceros 5.0 for a knob. I printed an early version with Variable print settings using S3D ver 4.0. This knob is for the timer on a Toaster oven I use, so there is a lot of spring tension. the knob has a flat round surface that faces the user of the oven, it is 40mm in diameter and 25 mm tall. That flat surface is on the build plate. At the top of that knob is a smaller cylinder with a slot in it that is 18mm in diameter and is centered on the top of the knob. I want the knob to use very little infill (20%) and when the print gets to the last five layers of the knob, before it starts printing the smaller shaft, I want it to use 100% infill and more outer walls as this is where all the tension is for turning the spring timer. I did this one time and it printed just like my model told it too. But after looking at the final result, I realized there was no pointer on the bottom surface (on the build platform) to know where the knob was turned to. So I added that feature in RhinoCad and went to print the new file. Now when I go into Variable Settings wizard, where it shows on the model a faint red plane where you want to split the print into two processes, it only goes down to where I set it the first time. Problem is, there is nothing below that in the picture of my model! I tried uninstalling S3D, rebooting computer, EVERYTHING, but still the same results. I thought it was the modifications I made to the file, but the previous version has the same issue. Even Models of statues I printed fine before in S3D have the same issue. I import the model and it drops to the build plate. I select "Prepare to Print" and when it shows the print preview screen, the top half of any model over about 120 layers tall is floating in the air! So is the brim! Nothing I have tried corrects it. It prints fine in Cura, but without the Variable Settings feature I have to print the entire thing with dense infill. Any ideas? I have attached a screenshot.
Floating model in S3D.JPG
brian442

Re: Models float in air after using Variable Settings Wizard

Looks like you have the "start printing at height" option enabled (on the Advanced tab). Disable that and it will start on the bed.
cccmikey

Re: Models float in air after using Variable Settings Wizard

Thanks. This worked for us as well, though we don't know how that setting was enabled in the first place. Was a mystery for a while.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”