jwellman

Support Structure Orientation

I'm really starting to like S3D. At first it was a little bit of a fight but the more I use it the more I'm starting to love it!

I'm printing a couple of objects that need support and I was wondering if it's possible to rotate the support structure? Currently I'm having to add in extra support structures to cover the area that I need and it seems like if I could rotate the little block to fit the area that this would be taken care of.

Also as far as supports go I'm noticing that when I set the layer separation to 1 that I occasionally have overhang areas that are not properly supported and they sag. I'm wondering if I set this to 0 will those be difficult to remove? Using a layer separation of 1 makes them easy to remove which is very nice!

Thanks,
Jared
dalew8abz
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio USA (4 mi. from MakerGear HQ!)

Re: Support Structure Orientation

Jared,

Maybe try adjusting the Support Infill Angles on the Advanced / Support tab of your process. I think these default to 45 and 135. I've had them at 0 and 90 so long, I don't remember what the defaults are. You can add and remove angles (and double-click to modify an existing angle) just like you do with temps on the Temperature tab.

Sorry, can't help with the number of separation layers. But you might need to dink with the "Horizontal Offset From Part" and "Support Pillar Resolution" to get them where you want them if you are using automatic support. For example, for the MAKE Magazine Torture Test object, I have both of these set to 0.5 mm to get "enough" support without having it merged into the print --- I think these are less than the defaults. I haven't had to dink with max overhang angle, and I run the support infill at about 20% to get just enough.

Nice thing is, you can dink these, slice and preview for a while and see if you like the supports that get generated without printing and wasting filament. If you get something you like, print it and see if you understood the preview properly. In time, you get a good feel for the preview vs. the print.

I haven't done much at all with manual supports. Haven't needed to for the stuff I've printed. But I think S3D has a tutorial on manual support if you want to try it.
Dale
jwellman

Looks like the support structure infill setting does it!

Thanks,
Jared
Dssguy1

I haven't adjusted any of the support separation settings and I have been really happy with the support they give the model and how easy they are to remove. I have seen some minor distortion of the bottom of an overhang where I use supports. I will try to lower the gap and see what that does to the ease of removal.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”