ChristianCooper

Import supports issue

Hi,

I have a model that I did custom supports for, on one of my printers. Upon loading the model and importing the supports, it seems they are placed relative to the printer's origin, rather than an origin specific to to the model.

To reproduce:
  1. Create new workspace for printer A.
  2. Import model.
  3. Add custom supports.
  4. Generate automatic supports.
  5. Export custom supports.
  6. Create new workspace for printer B (with different size build plate from printer A).
  7. Import same model.
  8. Import custom supports.
I'm having trouble embedding the image, so here's a link instead: https://imgur.com/a/Q3Hyq
horst.w

Re: Import supports issue

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you have done.

Importing the modell to S3D AND creating the support on the first printer profile ... ok.

But how you can EXPORT the support from this printer profile to import it on the next printer profile. Perhaps it is possible to switch between the profiles when the model is imported to S3D and the support from the first will be preserved to the 2nd profile - I can't test it, I have only one printer :|
The printer profiles are components of S3D for only the one printer for what they are created. If the support is not preserved into the second profile, it needs to creat a own one for the seconde.

Perhaps it may help to use EDIT > Center and Arrange
or TOOLS > Options > Models >>> check ON the 2nd box - Automatically center ...

Regards
horst.w, GER
dkightley

Support is positioned based on the dimensions of the bed. Save a support definition based on one bed.....and you can't import it into another bed size and expect it to align perfectly with the model.

This is just how S3D works....

Why not save as a factory file for one printer....then change the profile to one for the other printer...and then save it again as a different factory file. You hopefully may y=then have two factory files that cater for two different printers. This is a guess, btw,.....I've not tried this myself! :?
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
ChristianCooper

Chaps,

@dkightley - I know this is "just how S3D works...", I've just found that out, but I think it is wrong or at least counterintuitive and that's why I'm reporting it as a bug. :)

@horst.w - In the Support Generation dialog open there is an option to "Export Supports", that's how I am exporting the supports, I'm guessing it is a feature you have not used, and in fairness it's a feature I have not used until recently either. Your suggestion of switching profiles after placing the supports kind of half solves the problem, but I then need to change a bunch of process defaults in the profile to get the best out of my printer, which is a manual and error prone process at best.

I do have a multiple profiles, one per printer, with all the tweaks needed to get the best out of that printer/filament.

But, if I import the same model into a second profile, then the previously exported supports (saved in the same directory as the model's STL file) are also auto imported, but are placed in the wrong location because the build plates differ in size between the two printers. My only option at this point is to manually delete all the supports, add in the default generated ones, and start adding manual supports again, another manual and error prone process...

It just makes more sense to have supports touching a model (which is of course the only place you can manually add the supports anyway) to be associated with a model specific origin, not the printer's origin. And this applies doubly so if the supports are going to be auto-loaded when I import my model.

I can see how it would get messy when you have multiple copies of the same model on your build plate, in that case maybe the support information should only be included with the factory file, and the option to export the supports should be disabled.

Disclaimer: I'm a software architect and UI designer, but I wasn't involved in the design of S3D. ;)

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”