sgertsch

"First Layer Width" affect on first layer fill

Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:16 am

In my opinion, the "Layer -> First Layer Settings -> First Layer Width" setting doesn't do what it should, in fact I would go so far as to say it has the opposite effect in terms of improving print quality or adhesion. My opinion is based on observing the effect of increasing the value and the resultant effect on first layer print quality.

The "Tool Tip" text states: The width of the first layer extrusion can be increased to help with adhesion

My interpretation is that increasing the "First Layer Width" should only affect material flow rate to produce a wider than normal first layer traces. It may do that but is also changes (reduces) the number of computed infill traces resulting a greater probability of poor coverage (gaps) in the first layer. IT SHOULD NOT AFFECT THE NUMBER OF INFILL TRACES!

I am wondering if anyone else has noticed this and concurs that this behavior is unacceptable.

brian442

Re: "First Layer Width" affect on first layer fill

Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:44 am

I can't say I agree. It works just like every other width setting in the software (extrusion width, infill width, etc). Those are all defining the actual width of the lines. For example, if you make the width 2x what it was previously, the software will extrude twice as much plastic to produce that larger width, and then it will also space the lines out further to account for it. So it behaves consistently and that's what I would personally expect from a "width" setting.

If you are having problems where the lines on your first layer are too far apart, then it means your nozzle is too far away from the bed. So try setting the global Z-axis offset to -0.1 or -0.2mm to move the nozzle closer.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”