centenary

[ADDED] Prime pillar can't do more than 1 extruder change per layer?

Suppose you have four filaments going through the same nozzle. Switching between filaments requires priming the new filament, so a prime pillar is needed. Suppose you would like to print three filaments in a single layer. That means two filament switches within each layer, which means two priming operations within the prime pillar for each layer.

Unfortunately, it seems like the prime pillar can't handle more than one filament switch per layer. Take a look at this screenshot:

In this screenshot, when the filament was switched from blue to green, the green filament was properly primed within the prime pillar. However, when switching from green to yellow, the yellow filament was not primed within the prime pillar at all and was printed without any priming (see the innermost circle).

Could I be doing something wrong in my prime pillar setup or is this a current limitation for Simplify3D? I have three separate processes for the three colors. Each process is set to use the prime pillar for all extruders.
intentional3d

Re: Prime pillar can't do more than 1 extruder change per la

Bump. My 3 color machine is not workoing with this software. Very frustrating.
NoisyBoy1308

intentional3d wrote:Bump. My 3 color machine is not workoing with this software. Very frustrating.
Well, you have to create a prime pillar for every color as a model (a simple box will do).
Then you have to create a own process for every pillar and arrange them after the process for each color process.
this is how it works for me.
shocksofmighty

Use filaswitch : https://github.com/spegelius/filaswitch. It does automatic purge tower creation.
S3D-Jake

Re: [ADDED] Prime pillar can't do more than 1 extruder change per layer?

I am happy to say that this change was implemented in Version 4.1.0. When you enable the prime pillar for prints using more than 2 extruders the software will automatically prime each extruder fully before they get used in the print. We added several other new features based on user suggestions just like yours. Feel free to check them out in the software and on our What’s New page!

Thank you for the great suggestion!
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”