jangermann

UM2 print stops after random amount of time

Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:11 pm

I have not been printing for a while but has since last time I upgraded Simplify3D to latest version.
Now I can not use it with my UM2 anymore. Everytime I want to print, it prints a random amount of time and then stops. When it stops it is anything between a few seconds to 20-40 seconds before it starts again. It is really a pain to watch the print be destroyed.

If I use Cura there is no problems so it is NOT at printer problem.

This problem has been introduced in the new V4.0, before that I was only using Simplify3D with no problems

Please fix it.

rrdavis

Re: UM2 print stops after random amount of time

Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:54 am

It's hard to provide any help without more information.
- were you printing over USB?
- if you print from the SD card, does the problem go away?
- what operating system are you using?
- when it stops for 20 seconds, go to the Communication tab of the machine control panel and copy and paste the entire contents of that tab here. That will show why the printer was not responding for so long.

jangermann

Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:18 am

Hi

You are more than welcome to ask for what information you need to solve the problem.

I always print via SD card.
I am using Windows10
Here is a youtube video showing the printer where it was stopped and resume after a while: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwiiDY9ZCJ0
It did that a couple of times before I cancelled the print.

Please note that this problem is new to me, after installing V4.0. When using Cura I have no problems.

Attached gcode file
Attachments
FeiyuTech_GoPro_mount_2.gcode
(2.76 MiB) Downloaded 116 times

jangermann

Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:19 am

Attached factory file
Attachments
FeiyuTech_GoPro_mount_2.factory
(87.1 KiB) Downloaded 128 times

rrdavis

Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:12 am

You need to enable the "only wipe extruder for outer-most perimeters" option on the Advanced tab. Right now, you're trying to do a wipe for every single movement. If you try to use wiping on very tiny segments, it has to go too slow since you are also trying to retract while doing that wipe.

That should improve things, but it's still odd that the printer pauses for so long. The commands in the gcode file all look fine. Even the slowest ones would still finish in less than 100ms, so maybe it's a bug with the firmware. I had another printer that had a similar problem where some movements were causing errors with the speed calculations, so it would just sit there indefinitely after you sent it certain command that triggered the problem.

jangermann

Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:21 pm

So the “solution” it that there is a bug in the firmware of my UM2? I really doubt that.
Cura, no problems
3Dsimplify before V4.0, no problems.

I guess I am forced to downgrade 3Dsimplify or use Cure until the bug is found :-(

rrdavis

Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:42 am

It's pretty easy to check the gcode yourself. You can look at each XYZ value to determine how far each command moves, then use the F value to determine how long that move should take.

As I said, after you do that for the different commands in the file, there aren't any that should cause 20 second pauses like you mentioned.

I have used several firmwares in the past that had bugs that caused excessive stopping, almost identical to what you are describing, so it definitely happens.

KDan

Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:41 am

It's NOT a firmware bug. The OP is correct. Many other people are experiencing this problem with V4.0 that don't have any trouble with 3.1.1 or earlier, or any other Host/Slicer such Repetier or Cura.
The problem is definitely in S3D V4.0, and it needs to be fixed because it is a serious problem. Whatever the issue is, it seems like some firmwares are able to cope with it better than others. But, there are multiple different firmwares that are having this problem with S3D that never had it before. It's clear where the problem lies.

jangermann

Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:58 am

I never had one single glitch or any problems with my UM2.
No other slicers or earlier versions of S3D is giving me problems.

ONLY S3D V4.0 is giving me problems.

PaV

Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:56 am

I have the same problem. I use only SD
https://youtu.be/dfrP9MPvOi4

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”