tbeaulieu3dcomm

Wondering why one wall didn't get fill after a point vertically

The attachment Todds Version back.png is no longer available
Hello, I'm quite new to printing and to this app. I built my own printer and I'm attempting to design and print some custom pieces to improve the rig. Right now my theory is a fan mount with IR sensor mounts that circles the hot end, blowing down on the print. I had some frustration with sketchup and figured it was close enough for a trial run.

In the attached image, the primary 4mm thick mounting plate with screw slots started off in the lower levels with infill, but once it reached the top of the two sensor mounts it was rendered hollow from that point, upward.

I've searched the forum for similar issues and the closest I could find was that the wall could possibly be considered two objects. The most obvious clue that comes to mind with me is that I did carve out a small arc of material vertically in it, but that recess started at a lower layer and was being infilled down there.

Don't waste too much brain power on this, as I'm just trying to learn and figured someone might see the issue.

I've also included my factory file.

Thank you!
The attachment Todds Version back.png is no longer available
Attachments
Todds Version.factory
(23.49 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
horst.w

Re: Wondering why one wall didn't get fill after a point vertically

tbeaulieu3dcomm wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:28 pm
The most obvious clue that comes to mind with me is that I did carve out a small arc of material vertically in it, but that recess started at a lower layer and was being infilled down there.
On the attached picture you can see a gap between the body and the first layers of the central tube. Was that your intention to draw it?
The grey zik-zak is not INFILL, it is Support. Normally support is to remove but in this situation I think that is not possible.
If you close the gap - the surface will be part of bottom layers - then real Infill will be printed there.

"Infill" is the "support-structure" of closed bodys (cube, sphere ...) , "Support" is nearly the same, but determined to be removed, so it is only possible in open areas, supporting overhangs of the outer contures of the model.

Regards
horst.w
GER
Hollow Object.png
dkightley

Have a look at this revised factory file.

I've made a few subtle changes to infill and other settings. I've also used the Separate Connected Surfaces option to sort out the mesh issue.
Look at the cjanges...and ask if you don't understand why I've made them...
Attachments
Todds Version(2).factory
(26.25 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
horst.w

Hi,
yesterday late night it seems that I hadn't understood the airflow of this part.
To close the gap makes no sense, but to print it in this way also not.

I suggest to print it in 2 steps and clue them together.
The cut must be set as shown in the picture of the Cross Section View.

Keep in mind, that all parts what are sink down "in the print table" of S3D are NOT printed.
The base you can determine with a print stop in Tab Advanced (6.0 mm),
the 2nd part is build by sink down the objekt to Z-Offset = -6.0

For the base is no support needed, support inside the 2nd part is easy to remove.

H.
Cross Section.png
Sink down.png
tbeaulieu3dcomm

Thank you for your help. I wasn't aware of that printing trick. I'll look into it. For some reason my attachment images didn't stick with my message and they would have made the issue clear. I will look at both of these solutions when I get home. I have another design that I want to post of a power supply base that I made in sketchup. It looks perfect to me in sketchup but it takes on odd "random" cutouts at print time, and even worse, the entire open bottom is filled in. I suspect I'm missing some fundamental concepts about CAD design when it comes to 3D printing. In other words, I suspect that it's not just how the object looks, but how I get there in the design process.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”